Smells making me nauseous

Ellfam5
on 7/22/11 11:42 pm
I am 3 days out from RNY and am wonndering if anyone else has experienced food smells making them nauseous? Hubby jusr made himself some eggs and I was gagging!! This is something new for me. Thankzs for your replies!

poet_kelly
on 7/22/11 11:44 pm - OH
I think almost everyone experiences that at first.  It'll go away at some point.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Heather0115
on 7/23/11 12:02 am - CA
yes. I had the same situation. At 3 months out, I still do not have an appetite. I eat by the clock to make sure I get in all my protein.
As Poet Kelly states, it does go away...the nausea...and hunger can return around the 6 month point. Your fastest weight loss will occur in the first 6 months.
Wishing you a great weight loss journey.

Heather
Heather in San Diego
HW-255, GW-140 CW-141

CarolBeth
on 7/23/11 12:43 am - SoCal, CA
I had horrible nausea and vomiting after surgery--in fact my release from the hospital was delayed because of it.  Smells were indeed enough to set me off.  I am now just under two weeks post op and I love the smell of food cooking, can get in all my fluids, and have been given the ok to start on mushies today.  So yes, it will pass.  It did, even for someone who wished they could just die right after surgery.
Carol - RNY July 11, 2011

stellasnyder1
on 7/23/11 2:19 am - Williams, AZ
I am 4 days out and my husband smokes. He has to smoke in the garage or outside. When he came to visit me in the hospital I gagged so bad they had to give me a bag. I feel the same way at home. It hurts his feelings but the smell is disgusting to me and stale. I just wish he could quit. Eggs haven't done it yet but I can say the grilled cheese he made yesterday smelled really good.

HW 272 / SW 242 / GW 150      
lilmoonsomeday
on 7/23/11 4:11 am - Lincoln, RI
I couldn't stand the smell of garlic after surgery.  It smelled like bad food to me after surgery.  Luckily, it did go away in a month.  Thank goodness, because I LOVE garlic! 

The other thing I noticed after surgery, I HATED the protein I had, where as prior to the surgery, I liked it.  I like it again now, but it was rough for those first few weeks because so much of what we rely on for protein is the protein drinks. 

Good luck!  And welcome to the losers bench!

Lil Moon

MY BLOG: http://lilmoonsomeday.blogspot.com/

I love food, but I love ME more!

High Weight:283/Current Weight:173/Goal Weight:160

Kathy S.
on 12/1/11 10:19 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with
 The first day I was home from surgery my son was making pasta and I thought I was going to die.  I even had towels crammed  under the door LOL

I asked my surgeon about this and he said it was due to the anesthesia and it would go away.  It took about 3 months before it started to get better. My taste was affected too.

Hang in there, it will get better.

Take care,
Kathy

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active
Recent Topics