BCBS Fep Approval for RNY

Sunbunnyqt
on 7/26/11 6:14 am - FL
Hi,

I finally got a consultation appointment with my bariatric surgeon for August 22.  I have BCBS FEP and just wondered how long it took to get approval for others with this insurance.  I have already submitted cardio and pulmonary clearance.  Have six months of supervised diet although I have not had very much success in losing weight.  I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and have been using a cpap for about a month and hope this will help with me losing some weight before surgery.

Thanks for any encouragement because I am extremely depressed by all of this waiting.  I am so down right now.  I just hoped to be further along by now.  My insurance only requires a 3 month supervised diet.  All I want to do right now is scream.  I am definitely not in a good place right now.

csiaj90
on 7/26/11 6:22 am
I also have Fed Blue Cross Blue Shield. My packet was submitted last Wednesday afternoon, and I received my letter yesterday in the mail saying I was approved, so it was really quick!!!
Mama-Z
on 7/26/11 12:58 pm
Hi I also have federal Blue Cross blue shield.  3 mo waiting period.  Had my first NUT appt in April then monthly for May and June.  Paper work submitted June 3 had approval letter with 2 1/2 weeks.  Just did all my pre op testing on Monday and surgery date is 08/17/2011.  I too have sleep apnea and SO HOPE this surgery makes it go away!  At first the surgeons office thought I had a six month time with the NUT too but I showed them from my FEP blue book that it was only a 3 month for our insurance.  I'd do the same.  If you need a booklet I can email it to you then you can print off the specific pages to show them.  Hope that helps!  

csiaj90
on 7/26/11 11:27 pm
Mama-Z, my surgery is the day before yours! How exciting is that!!!
penguingirl
on 7/27/11 12:03 am
I, too, have Fed BCBS.  My paperwork was submitted in early December and I got approval within 2 weeks.  However, they did add on the new 3 month supervised diet as of January of this year, but since you have already been on that for 6 months hopefully you'll sail through just as fast. 

I can remember the waiting and all the hoops though....I began the process August 27th and surgery wasn't til December 27th.  It is SOOOO worth the wait...you have the rest of your life to reap the benefits.  Good luck to you...I hope you get a date soon and have much success!! 
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." ~ Henry Ford            5'11"  HW 369/SW 353/GW 209    
Mary B.
on 7/27/11 3:07 am - Southern, MD
I was self pay for my band and got Fed BCBS when I decided I wanted a revision. I was worried they wouldnt cover it, but I was approved within a week.

Good luck. Everything will happen so fast!
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

Sunbunnyqt
on 7/28/11 3:17 am - FL
I want to thank everyone for sharing their experiences.  I am concerned that this supervised diet has not been productive.  I will stay positive and keep plugging a way.  I am sending all of you warm thoughts and strength as you proceed.  See you on the losers bench!

Most Active
Recent Topics