RNY in a lil' over a month, any tips for long term success?

Casey P.
on 7/26/11 1:23 pm
 Hey I'm preparing for my revision to RNY in sept, doing a lot of research but I would like to know any tips and techniques you vets have come across not only for weight loss but for overall health (mental/physical) Anything you guys have will be very welcome, thank you!!!
"I'm not here to change lives"-Me
"You're no fun anymore"- Monty Python

VSG 9/2009
Revision to RNY 9/2011
   "Let's try this again..."

poet_kelly
on 7/26/11 1:59 pm - OH
Make sure you get enough protein.  When I was losing weight, it seemed like I lost more when I got more protein, even if I ate the same number of calories.  Plus you'll feel a lot better if you're getting enough protein.

Stick to your plan when you're done losing.  Don't decide well, I'm at goal so it's OK to eat whatever.  I mean, an occassional treat is OK, as long as a small treat does serve as a trigger and make you eat one more and one more and one more.  But stick with protein first, limit the sugar and starchy carbs, don't drink with meals, all that stuff.

For overall health, take your vitamins and get your labs done and adjust your vitamins as necessary.

Finally, I'd say take responsibility for your own health.  Ask questions, do your research, be an active partner with your doctors.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Casey P.
on 7/26/11 2:17 pm
Thank you for your reply! I'm looking at protein supps, but not going to buy anything till after, don't know how my tastes will change : ) 

VSG 9/2009
Revision to RNY 9/2011

gbsinsatx
on 7/26/11 2:19 pm - San Antonio, TX

• These are the rules I follow: 
    • *Take Vitamins, Calcium Citrate, and Iron daily
  • *Drink 48-64 ounces liquids daily
  • *No more than 20 grams of Fat per day
  • *Must eat at least 60 grams of Protein a day (100 grams or more at 1200 calories or higher a day)
  • *No more than 100 grams of Carbohydrate per day
  • *No more than 15 grams of Sugar per meal (Sugar is a Carbohydrate)
  • *Stop drinking Water 30 minutes before a meal
  • *Begin drinking Water 30 minutes after a meal
  • *Eat 3 meals a day (no further than 4 hours apart) (I began 1 protein snack at 1200 calories a day at least 2 hours from breakfast) (I began 2 protein snacks at 1550 calories a day at least 2 hours from breakfast and 2 hours from lunch)
  • *3-6 Months After Surgery: I ate 600-700 calories a day
  • *6-9 Months After Surgery: I ate 800-900 calories a day
  • *9-12 Months After Surgery: I ate 1000 calories a day
  • *12-18 Months After Surgery: eat 1200 calories a day (I ate 1200 calories a day until 15 months when I reached my goal weight)
  • *18 Months after surgery (or when goal weight is reached before 18 months): Maintenance calories (BMR & Activity Level) (Malabsorption of calories lasts approximately 18 months) (I now eat 1550 calories a day since 16 months and my activity level is Sedentary)

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

Casey P.
on 7/26/11 4:33 pm
 Wow! Awesome reply!!! I'm going to put my thinking cap on for the protein, don't eat much dairy and not a meat fan....But I loove a challenge!

VSG 9/2009
Revision to RNY 9/2011

gbsinsatx
on 7/27/11 12:02 am - San Antonio, TX
 Please see my profile page for my menu plan I created. I am a Vegetarian.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

lynnc99
on 7/26/11 10:15 pm
Wisdom from my support group that I attended pre op was this: 

Follow the rules. When you walk through this door, you must commit to following the rules set forth by a surgeon. For years, we have made up our own rules about what to eat, regardless of what diet we were on. And look where it got us.

Exercise. Whether you like it or not (and you may in fact come to like it as your body becomes more and more capable of doing it!), exercise is one key to long term success and good health.

Support: Attend a support group if there is one near you. This is not a solo flight. Every stage poses its unique challenges.