Count Down To Surgery HELP!!!

dawn5311
on 7/28/11 8:32 am - Plainfield, IN
20 Days until surgery. I am running around in circles yet I have no motivation! I have lists upon lists of things to do for preparation before surgery. I am wondering what I am missing that I need to do. I am trying to set things up for hubby while I am gone. Set things up I need at hospital, things I need so I am confortable and have everything after surgery. I am worried about failure. My energy level is all over the place as well my moods. Yesterday and today I was having major melt downs. I still have not told my parents or sister what I am doing for fear they will talk me out or surgery!? OMG I am all over is this NORMAL to be so emotional, nervous, and scared? Last night I I made the mistake of reading the forum where  people have had complications, are doing do overs / revisions, and had major failures? Freaked me out. Why did I do that to myself? I am just having a bad week can someone share their presurgery stories or coming home strories and feelings? So maybe I can relate and calm down some?! I am so excited about having surgery. I need this surgery. This is going to safe my LIFE! Help......

Finally had surgery on Wed Aug 17th! Came home on 22nd! Thank you Dr. Mattar

JENNI-8yrsPostOP
on 7/28/11 10:01 am
It's normal to be like this - do what you can and leave the rest. I had this done 10 yrs ago and I will never regret my deciion. I did it for me, my health and my family. I still have wow moments, I still love every day, this is so easy and I think we've been given a gift, not to be taken lightly. It's
an amazing journey but one I wouldn't trade for anything. Good luck - and slow down! LOL.

Jen 9+ yrs post op RNY
onetopmason
on 7/28/11 10:30 am
I'll give you what I can. I had my surgery on July 11th which was almost 3 weeks ago and I feel pretty good. All the worrying you are doing in very natural. Be strong and if you have any question**** me anytime.
Pre-OP Starting Weight: 409 Day of Surgery: 372   CW: 245          
dawn5311
on 7/28/11 10:49 am - Plainfield, IN
Thanks for sharing that. Wow, your doing so good! 3 weeks out. How was your pain and comfort level when you got home after surgery? Are you on an all liquid diet? Do they have you taking a lot of protein powder? I have not gone to my preop appointment yet that talks about all the do's don'ts and cant's. I go on Aug 2nd for that so, hopefully that will answer a lot of questions then. In the mean time I am just all over the place. I appreciate any info you can share. Keep up the awesome job! Congrats!
Mama-Z
on 7/28/11 10:36 am
Hi Dawn.  I feel kind of like you.  I think its normal to go through a whole boatload of emotions pre surgery.  BTW we have the same surgery date and time! Maybe we can keep tab on eachothers progress.  I too was worried about telling my family.  But to my surprise all three of my daughters were happy for me and all are coming to the hospital on my surgery day.  My DH has known all along ofcourse and is very supportive too.  I also told my father and although I don't think he quite understands how major the surgery is or how life changing this is going to be, he is happy for me too.

As far as reading the forum and focusing on the problems people are having... I did that too and seriously had to tell myslef to get a grip and look at it as a support tool IF I have any issues.  I feel much better now though.  

So I too am shopping and stocking up on the things I will be needing in the first few weeks.  Its funny though I am worried my DH is going to be hungry those first few weeks as I may not feel much like cooking.  So maybe I should think about putting a few meals in the freezer for him.  This way if I don't feel like cooking he can nuke something I've made ahead of time.

Keep your focus on how we're gonna be feeling in a month or two! And think of the possiblilities of what we will then be able to do...someone earlier today posted that they went skydiving!!!   And where we can shop for that first new outfit as we get thinner and healthier!  

Someone also posted this scripture on a post of mine a couple weeks back when I was feeling a little overwhelmed.  Jeremiah 29:11 "For I myself well know the thought I am thinking toward you, 'is the utterance of Jehovah, 'thoughts of peace, and not of calamity, to give  you a future and a hope.'"  I can say I read that everyday now and it has helped when I get worried about the surgery itself.  I know this is the right decision for me. 
Hope this helps,
Mary   

dawn5311
on 7/28/11 11:01 am - Plainfield, IN
Mary,

That is really cool?! We have the same surgery date and time? Aug 17th @730am? I am in Indiana and my surgeon is Dr. Mattar. I know the surgeons couldn't be the same ha ha ! I was just wondering if you close distance wise?! That is so cool that your family is supporting you. I don't know how my parents or sister will take this. If you read my story they talked me out of it in 2004. My doctor said that I should probably wait closer to surgery date to tell them so that they don't have a lot of time to talk about it. Only 2 of my 5 children know about my surgery. That is a long long story. My husband supports me and takes such good care of me now. He is just really scared and worried that there will be complications. Nothing has ever come easy to me in my life. My health is so very poor right now. I am praying this is the miracle I have been looking for. I know it is going to be a lot of hard work. I just have been down sick last few weeks and feel I need to get everything in order and set up for my husband now and for after surgery. He is very independent and can cook and take care of himself. I just feel the need to do it all for him. I just one minute am feeling ok nothing on my mind and then the next I am just crying and crying and I dont really know why sometimes:?! The not knowing is what bothers me I guess. I am a very prepared together person and lately I am far from that. I go in for a all day preop class and I guess they will cover what I need to get and about the surgery and all. I am just trying to get as much knowledge as I can and I don't know if sometimes it is too much info if that makes sense. I would definately love to keep in touch. I think we have a lot in common. I would like to hear more about you if you have time. Thanks for reaching out to me. Many blessings. Much love. Dawn
LisaBee1964
on 7/28/11 11:12 am - OH
Take a deep breath! You are going to  fine!

And, yes it is totally normal to have your emotions all over the place. I feel ya! I did not tell my dad about my surgery until a month before, and my sibs only a couple weeks before, because I didn't want to give them too much time to get worked up about it. My husband and kids knew throughout the whole process though.

I'm almost 4 months out, and I am 100% glad I did it. I feel like a new person.Don't worry too much about all the stuff you think you have to do before surgery....if you forget something for the hospital, someone can get it for myou. Really you don't need much.

Good luck!
Lisa
  I am lovin' life!         
dawn5311
on 7/28/11 12:49 pm - Plainfield, IN
Thanks Lisa! I need all the luck I can get for sure! Things never go smooth for me. I just have that luck I guess. I think I am going to do that wait till a week or so before and tell my parents and sister. That way they don't  have to worry, fret, freak out but, most of all try and talk me out of it. I don't know why I did not think of that sooner. I am still being considerate of them actually I think by waiting to tell them I am being more considerate that way they don't have as much time to worry at all. But, not gonna allow family or friends at the hospital. Too short of a time there. I was told about 4 days. I think I need to rest as much as I can so I will be ready to deal at home. Thanks for your support. Please keep in touch. Nice talking. Dawn
LJ1972
on 7/28/11 11:15 am - FL
I am the same way... I want to be prepared for coming home. I have lists of chores to do before I go, grocery lists and lists of phone numbers to call and let folks know I am ok.

So far I haven't started on any of the "pre-op" lists. I figure the house cleaning seems to be a popular activity during the liquid diet pre-op lol
onetopmason
on 7/28/11 4:22 pm
I can only speak for myself but the first few days were painful. I also had my gallbladder removed so that didn't help. I was on liquids for about two weeks and now I'm kind of incorporating pureed foods. I will say for me its tough getting all the protein in. I also learned that I was addicted to food. That might sound crazy be so true for me, hell I think I loved food more than myself. After surgery you will learn so many new things about yourself some good some not so good but always use it to your advantage. Just remember to be strong and keep your eyes on the prize, we're all here for you.
Pre-OP Starting Weight: 409 Day of Surgery: 372   CW: 245          
Most Active
Recent Topics