Hot Wings

jrjrj01
on 7/29/11 2:02 am - MI
I'm a little over three months post op and doing great.  I thought I would be a little adventurous yesterday and stopped by my favorite wing joint to get a taste of those wonderful super hot wings.  I figured they have high fat but the carbs were low and should be okay as long as don't over do it.   I only order 6 wings (instead of my usual 2 dozen) and ate them with no problem.  Then it hit me.  My stomach felt like someone took a flaming hot torch and was cutting their way out from the inside.  It was awful.  I started going into shock....I got cold, began to sweat (I mean drenching), and did all could to keep from passing out. 

I had never felt  anything like it and hope to never feel it again.    Has anyone else ever had this experience?

Mia H.
on 7/29/11 2:43 am - OH
 Sounds like you had a dumping episode.  Sometimes people dump on high fatty foods (which chicken wings are since most are fried). 

hobbes
on 7/29/11 2:51 am - SD
 Dude, what the heck are you eating 6 wings 3 months postop? That's like twice what a pouch should handle! lol

Totally bad idea.

Using Franks red hot, Buffalo Wild Wings sauce, and any other wing sauce you want with a THREE ounce grilled chicken breast is where you should be at.  Tastes the same and isn't nearly as messy!

You definitely dumped.  I dumped on su****he other day (well, it was the glass of plum wine beforehand, stupid on my part!)

Keep in mind that a tablespoon of wing sauce is between 50 and 100 calories.  Trust me when I say chicken is MUCH more enjoyable when it's healthy and not fried.

/ not hating
// Wings got me up to 330lbs
/// Grilled chicken got me down to 199!

jrjrj01
on 7/29/11 3:12 am - MI
LOL!!!   You would laugh if you saw the size of the wings.  All six together were about the size of  small chicken breast and these still had the bones.  As for the dumping, I don't think this was dumping - I experienced that following a taste of ice cream (< 1/4 cup)  last month and that was lots of cramping, throughout my gut, nausea, and general malaise.  This experience was definately an intense burning at a single spot in lower gut.   It went away after about 5 minutes.  (The dumping stayed with me a lot longer) I sort of think it might be a sign of an ulcer, but trying to deny that to myself.
Paul C.
on 7/29/11 3:28 am - Cumming, GA
If it was an ulcer anything would give you the same feeling including a drink of water.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
fran_pa
on 7/29/11 5:34 am - PA
It does sound like dumping and probably from the fat, both the oil from frying and possible butter added to the sauce.  That said, wings are my favorite food out right now.  I can eat 2 or 3 of them tops though.  And I order them fairly mild because of the no drinking surrounding eating them.  But the idea of trying a grilled chicken breast with Red Hot might be a way to try it.  I still can't eat a 1/2 breast, but I eat about a whole tenderloin strip piece.

bvom
on 7/29/11 6:00 am - CT
I seriously hope you mean six half wings...so 3 total?  Even that is a lot for 3 months out but I can't even wrap my head around eating 6 whole wings!  Hell, I'm almost 3 years out!

Anyhow..so yeah.  Wings.  They're good.  My husband and I are fans and I make them all the time.  How?  I bake them at 425 for 20 mins, flip them and cook for another 15-20.  If I'm gonna sauce them with something sweet that will burn, I add it the last 5 mins.  I've marinated, rubbed, buffalo sauced, coke (zero) bbq sauced, garlic/parm/butter, etc etc and they always come out fantastic.  You can make them a billion different ways in the oven and not have to worry about the fat of frying.  Eating all that skin and dark meat is enough!

Highest: 601 lbs / Surgery: 573 lbs / Lowest: 242 / Regained 57 lbs (Currently -51!)
              Panniculectomy 11/09  *  Brachioplasty & Inner Thigh Lift 12/10

seattledeb
on 7/29/11 8:46 pm
Can I come to your house for dinner?
Deb T.

bvom
on 7/29/11 11:32 pm - CT
Sure!  :)

This is our favorite method of preparing them.  It also works great on the grill.  I never have corriander so I just sub whatever I have on hand and sounds good that day. 

Highest: 601 lbs / Surgery: 573 lbs / Lowest: 242 / Regained 57 lbs (Currently -51!)
              Panniculectomy 11/09  *  Brachioplasty & Inner Thigh Lift 12/10

seattledeb
on 7/30/11 5:50 pm
I loved the engineer's version of the recipe with the chart at the end. So funny.
I don't like coriander but I always have limes and the other stuff around. Thanks for sharing your fave.

Most Active
Recent Topics