My own chili!

krislbt41
on 7/30/11 1:48 am - Center Line, MI
I was told that Wendy's chili was ok to eat, but I decided to come up with my own version of chili.

Using tomato soup (low sodium) which is hard to find in the stores where I live.
black beans
ground turkey
pureed broccoli (optional)

Very simple and my surgeon got me on stage IV foods now so no need to blend it in the blender.  I wish I could use a bit of onion and cheese in it but onions will probably get stuck in my pouch and I like lots of cheese which does no good for me being lactose intolerant so the little ingredients I listed will have to do.

Mia H.
on 7/30/11 1:56 am - OH
Thanks for the recipe, it sounds good. What about frying the small pieces of onion with your ground turkey.  It'll cook long enough so it'll be really soft.  If that doesn't go well, then add some onion powder for the flavor.  You can also try soy cheese as a substitute.  

Also, do you add chili pepper or any other spices to give it the chili flavor? 

krislbt41
on 7/30/11 3:09 am - Center Line, MI
Never added chili pepper or powder to it, I figured the tomato soup would be flavored enough unless I add a bit of salt for taste....onion powder sounds like a winner, I might try that! Thanks!

missjann
on 7/30/11 4:06 am, edited 7/30/11 4:07 am
I just made a Wendy's chili knock-off that is sooooo good. It makes a bit, but I froze it in 1-cup containers so I just grab and go for lunch at work.
Brown 1.5-2 lbs ground turkey or 90% ff ground beef with tiny diced onion and garlic
Add 1 tsp celery seeds or tiny diced celery
29 oz can diced tomatoes
29 oz can kidney beans
29 oz can pinto beans
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp Mexican seasoning (or you can increase the cumin and add chili powder here).
1 tsp pepper
Simmer for an hour and enjoy! Add more chili powder or cumin/Mexican seasoning to your taste. I added a wedge of laughing cow cheese on top as I don't like sour cream. My family LOVED this! I'm surprised I had any to freeze, and it's even better warmed up.
    Jan

bowlinjj
on 7/30/11 5:52 am - TX
did you wash the kidney and pinto beans before putting it all together?
Just wondering, it sounds good to me:)
JJ
missjann
on 7/30/11 6:07 pm
The recipe actually called for the beans and juice. I did drain most of the juice off the beans, but just dumped them in thereafter with no rinsing.
    Jan

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 489 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 387 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 378 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 317 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 156 views