Cant get down 64oz

Ellfam5
on 8/4/11 1:56 am
Hey all I am not 15 day post op for lap RNY. Problem I am having is that no matter what I try protein shakes make me gag, and I cant come close to getting the minimum 64 oz of fluids in. I constantly feel full!!!! If I try to drink 3 oz of fluid i get nauseous. No vomiting and no pain just feel extremely full. Any advise would be great;y appreciated!!!!!

Trying to stay positive about this new journey I have started. Taking it day by day!!!!

Tonya0531
on 8/4/11 2:00 am - Lake, MS
It is a major struggle for me to get all that fluid in and I'm almost 14 weeks out.  Just keep pushing.  It will get easier and just drink what you can.  There are still some days that I just don't get it all in but I keep trying.  Just sip sip sip.
Tonya
HW: 274  PreOp Diet: 271  Surgery: APRIL 25, 2011   
LilySlim - (6Jve)
I love my new life!!!
Cheryl D.
on 8/4/11 2:08 am - Wapakoneta, OH
RNY on 06/15/11 with
I am 6 weeks out, and I too gag at the Protein Drinks. Have tried adding the protein to SF Jello pudding, still gags me.  I too have been haveing trouble getting the 64 oz. down.  I have to keep my
water ice  cold, with ice in it to be tolerable.  I have found that the closer it gets to bedtime, the easier it is to drink.  Just keep trying!

Mia H.
on 8/4/11 2:18 am - OH
I'm 6 weeks out and still can't get in 64 oz.  I am trying and doing better.  I am now up to about 56 oz now.  I just keep on trying.  I have read that it will get easier to do so farther out.

maggiet
on 8/4/11 2:38 am - Durham, NC
I am 8 weeks out and still having trouble getting it all in. I've only reached that goal maybe once or twice. I saw some posts about Starbucks Venti decarf skinny latte's with sugar free flavors and I went with that.I call it thew Why Bother but it has helped. I stick in some protein, some benefiber and shake it up then drink it in the morning. I've only drunk water and coffee all ym life. No soda's no sweet tea. But suddenly in my 4th or 5th week water became repugnant to me.God I hope this is a phase!!! But I finally tried some of those sugar fee powders that go in your water and have been able to get that down. I tried one with Stevia or Nuvia since aspartame has always given me bad stomach and bowel pains.

As they say, keep plugging along. It will get better.
Maggie

(deactivated member)
on 8/4/11 3:13 am - Boston, MA
 It's not easy.. I'm 4.5 months out and I have NEVER gotten in 64 oz.. two days ago I got in the most ever 58 oz but yesterday I was back to 28 oz.. I average around 30 oz.. it's just really hard for me to drink.. Just do the best you can
Tenaciousc1974
on 8/4/11 3:15 am - CA
I have the same problem, 3 weeks out. I keep trying, but it seems like I always have to take the tiniest sips, or my chest hurts. Then before long, my stomach feels yucky. I think the hardest thing about it to me is that I *want* to drink water. I feel thirsty. I miss being able to just chug down half a bottle of water. I'm also hoping it gets better. Good luck!
Chris

start/pre-op/current/goal weights:  286/240/138/130

Dave Chambers
on 8/4/11 4:45 am - Mira Loma, CA
This is a common issue with new post ops.  Take a couple of small sips every 15 minutes from the time you wake up until your go to sleep.  You can also add some unflavored whey isolate protein to Crystal lite for hydration and protein at the same time.  Try to vary the temp of your water, room temp vs chilled, vs warmed.  Some say it's easier with a little lemon in your water, and others will add a little diluted fruit juice and these added flavors seem to help them get their water intake. Not getting enough hydration will land you back in the hospital for dehdration issues.  Protien shakes are a must for several weeks, as you can't get enough protein in your limited food amounts.  You can also add unflavored whey isolate protein powder to soft foods too, when you're allowed those foods.  I've added this to SF pudding, oatmeal, cream of wheat, soups, veg. refried beans, cooked mashed yams, etc.  Dave

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

beth1010
on 8/4/11 8:53 am
RNY on 08/01/11 with
 I got home from the hospital yesterday. I can't seem to manage the fluid and protien to the specifications. I feel nauseated or full too much of the time. I hope it'll improve.

pouch_potato
on 8/5/11 12:07 am, edited 8/5/11 12:09 am - PA
I also have trouble getting in my fluids. Plain water, especially right after surgery, just seemed so heavy and it made me nauseated. I had much better success with hot (but not too hot) decaf tea and chicken bouillon. You can also try popsicles and frozen fruit bars (without the chunks) and count them as 2 oz each. As Dave suggested you can add unflavored whey protein powder, especially to your hot drinks. At bedtime I will warm up a mug of milk (or Lactaid) with the powder and it's very soothing. ETA: make sure you add the liquid to the powder and not vice versa to avoid clumping.
LilySlim Weight loss tickers Notes:
Most Active
Recent Topics