sleep study

StacyAnn07
on 8/4/11 7:58 am - Del City, OK
I just got my call for my sleep study and I'm kinda wondering who all has had this done? I sleep in the...um...well my birthday suit! Can I wear like a tank and shorts or what do I need to wear?? I really don't want to do this but my doctor requires it

crystal C.
on 8/4/11 8:36 am - lynn, MA
i had one, and at my hospital they have a really nice sleep center and the rooms are set up like hotel rooms.  but your still hooked up to all these wires and stuff and there is a camera in the room for the guy to watch you.  i barely slept at ALL.  i wore pj and a tank top, and i brought a sweatshire, thank god cause i was freezzzzinngggggg.  It was easy although i hated it!
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 8/4/11 8:56 am
I had one,  well two.  You can wear whatever you want.  I wore pjs since it was winter.
There will be someone monitoring you so you probably want something on.

Winnie

trance
on 8/4/11 9:08 am
I had one, pretty much strap you up with a bunch of wires to sleep with.
in the forms you'll read 'sleeping clothes must be worn during sleep study'
i guess that's for the nudist :p
Celia S.
on 8/4/11 9:35 am - Grand Junction, CO
Wear whatever you'll feel comfortable in! But like the others have said, there is a camera in the room so the person performing the study can watch you, so you'll definitely want to wear something. I would avoid long pants, because they may also stick wires to your legs to monitor them as well.

Make sure your hair is clean b/c they will be hooking a LOT of wires up to your head, neck, and behind your ears, and they will have wires on your chest to monitor your heart.

I just got done with my second study this past Monday and I can tell you I hardly slept with either one of the studies!

Best of luck to you! It's a pain in the rear, but you're better off in the end if you have it done! :)

StacyAnn07
on 8/4/11 10:07 am - Del City, OK
Thanks guys for the tips!! I suppose a lot more people have to have them done than I thought.

hlacy
on 8/4/11 11:53 am - Chandler, AZ
I have had two done. Wear something comfy and loose. The rooms are usually just like bedrooms so you feel at home. They will climate control to your liking (I sleep with it very cold). They usually like you to be in bed around 10pm. About 930pm or so, a tech will come in and get you "hooked up" - they will attach all the electropad sensors to you. They use a gel kind of like apricot scrub to get the skin clean in some spots, like on your head and temples. Once you are all wired, they will attach the grouped wires to the main device, which is usually hanging off the bed on the side. Then you sleep. If you have to use the restroom or need something, they usually tell you to sit up or just ask them to come in the room and they will be right in. They don't really watch you in the night - they more watch the monitors and such (my friend is a tech in a sleep center so I asked him about this). During the night, they may come in and have you put on a CPAP mask and hook you up to the CPAP. It is very strange at first, but your instincts will kick in and allow you to breathe naturally with it. Then, before you know it, it will be 5-6am, and you will be awoke, unhooked, and allowed to go home! It's really not bad at all, I promise!

One suggestion, though. I have a lot of trouble sleeping anywhere but my room. I discussed it with my PCP and he suggested I take a Benadryl or two to sleep. I let the techs know I had taken it, and it worked like a charm. Be sure they know about all meds you are on at the lab - script or OTC.
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

Rebecca H.
on 8/4/11 1:03 pm
someone was talking about sleep study's the other day. A lady had a male tech that hooked up the wires and checked on her at night. That was weird for her. Think about if you want a male technician or a female technician and see if you have a choice if you don't necessarily was a male technician. Just a thought.
poet_kelly
on 8/4/11 5:01 pm - OH
You can wear whatever you want.  I normally sleep in my birthday suit too but I wore shorts and a tee shirt when I had a sleep study done.  I did not have to have it for surgery but had one several years before that because I had so much trouble sleeping.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 291 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 216 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 283 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 145 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 216 views