Question about coffee and diarrhea (sorry, TMI!)

PTM
on 8/9/11 4:00 am
When I drink coffee at home, I add sugar-free flavored creamer (today it was vanilla caramel).  Not long after I began drinking my coffee (in the car taking the kids to camp), I wa**** with a nasty bout of diarrhea. 

Does this happen to anyone else?  Is it the coffee?  Or maybe just a coincidence?  

Thanks!
Margaret   HW: 342    SW: 320    CW:  228    GW:  175    3          
DisneyLover
on 8/9/11 4:18 am - WI
I think it is the caffeine waking your system up.  Or could be the sugar free syurp.  Some people have issues with that too.

Sarah

Duck_Girl
on 8/9/11 4:21 am
Coffee stimulates the colon and causes bowel movements. It's commonly used in alternative medicine to releive constipation.

(deactivated member)
on 8/9/11 4:46 am
I didn't have problems like that until I was over 4 years post-op, but I've had to stop drinking regular coffee. I get the kind in the small green tub that is decaffeinated and it says it's easy on your stomach. It made a world of difference.
Liz H.
on 8/9/11 4:47 am - VA

I drink coffee every day and I have loose bowel movements every morning after I drink it.  I wouldn't call it "diarrhea" in my case, but I'd rather have things moving freely than NOT!  I don't/can't drink it black, so I add fat-free half and half and Splenda.  I need my coffee though... I have done well to cut back to "1/2 Caff"!!

This happened to me before surgery, too, but wasn't quite as severe.  Sorry!!

HW 353; SW 291.5; SURGEON'S GW 190;  MY GW: 175

(deactivated member)
on 8/9/11 6:12 am
Coffee did that to me even before surgery. I ended up dehydrated and in the ER many years ago. My lesson learned: don't work that close to a Dunkin's.
Jamie M.
on 8/9/11 7:47 am
Coffee always make me have the big D.  It goes right through me.  I just tried the Click protein for the first time and I love it so much, but because of the coffee base, it goes right through me!
jazzycatz
on 8/9/11 7:56 am - Joppa, MD
I wi**** was so easy to get me to be able to "go".  Coffee has never had the poo effect on me. 

And I agree with the other poster, might be the sugar free creamer.  I have issues with sugar alcohols. 
mrs.berry
on 8/10/11 12:15 am
it's the coffee. my sister is a nurse and she said sometimes in the hospital if they have a patient with constipation they will order an extra strong cup of coffee from the cafeteria and it helps them go. it happens to me sometimes too if i've had too much coffee or a really strong cup.
RNY Gastric Bypass 1/14/11
SW 276.5
GW 150 - met 12/11!!! 
Pregnant w/ #1 due 4/9/13
PTM
on 8/10/11 2:30 am
Thanks, all! The weird thing is it doesn't happen when I get my skinny vanilla latte from Starbucks. Maybe the coffee I use at home is stronger? Anyway, thanks for the information!
Margaret   HW: 342    SW: 320    CW:  228    GW:  175    3          
Most Active