RNY and Monthly "Cycle" Questions

Shanneee
on 8/10/11 2:43 pm - MN
Hi Friends,

Time for my daily question :)  So I haven't had my period for over a year and the last time I had it was due to hormones prescribed by my OBGYN.  I had my RNY two weeks ago and a week after getting it Aunty Flo came and visited me. 

Is this just coincidence?  Or something to do with the weight loss hormones?  I've lost about 20 pounds in my first two weeks, which I'm wondering if can trigger something like that. 

Anyone else have this experience?

trudylam
on 8/10/11 2:51 pm - Sudbury, Canada
It is absolutely the hormones that your body is releasing.  I have an IUD and hadn't had a cycle in a couple of years, now in the 10 weeks that I have been post op I have been "cycling" for 5 weeks.  Not continually, each cycle lasts about 12-14 days!  It will taper off I've been told.  I guess we just have to take the good with the bad. :)  Best of luck to you. :)

kayleesmommy2007
on 8/10/11 3:22 pm
Its deff a horomone thing!  My periods used to be hit and miss!  I could only have 2 or 3 a year, and now, I am 18 months out of RNY, and my cycles are like clock work!  I could almost tell you the exact hour I'm going to start!!!  According to my dr, when you lose weight fast like that, it releases extra horomoes in your body that have been stored in those fat cells that you are now lossing!!! 

Hope that makes some kind of since!!!  :D

Jess

"Life is to short, so make a decision and give it 110%"

girlieinsd
on 8/10/11 4:55 pm - CA
It is very normal. I am 8 weeks post-op and have had my period for about 5 weeks of that. I get the depo shots and didn't have a period until the day of surgery when I started.

I hear it gets better... I sure hope so!
SURGERY / 1st DAY OF MY NEW LIFE = JUNE 14, 2011

Lost since surgery - 177 pounds
Total loss - 254 pounds

I am worth this!
sissymm32
on 8/10/11 7:38 pm - Phil Campbell, AL
Hi
I had two period the year before I had my surgery two weeks after I came home from surgery I had a period it lasted just about 5 to 7 days like normal and I have had one ever month since. I never asked the doctor about it I was just glad to feel like a normal woman again. The only difference in my period is that it is a little bit heavier than I remember it being before but mine last the same amount of time that it did before.
                                   HW 286    SW 266     CW 180

krislbt41
on 8/10/11 9:10 pm - Center Line, MI
*To Sissy, mine did the same thing....after one or two weeks I had my period, it was heavy because before my surgery I hadn't had a period for 6 months! My GYN said if I didn't have at least 4 periods a year it is bad.....you risk getting Endometrial Cancer....so that scared me!

But like I said I finally had a period and it lasted 5 days!  I just told my husband this morning I was cramping so it maybe coming again....my surgery was in July and this is August it should be about that time for another.

ShootersGal24
on 8/11/11 6:43 am - South St. Paul, MN
Before surgery, I too wa**** or miss.  Never knew when I would get it.  After surgery, I got it 2 weeks after, and have NOT had one since!!!  I am 44 and keep telling the docs that my mom and my grandmother were both done with menopause by age 45 but they refuse to listen.  I have not had a cycle now in 16 months!!!  Does that now qualify me for being menopausal????

They told me once I lost the weight, my cycle would resume and become "normal", but - it is not and I can honestly say, I DON'T MISS IT!!

Thanks

Kelly

http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w2Fm5C4/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w2Fm5C4/weight.png">>

Tammy G.
on 8/11/11 8:56 am
RNY on 06/16/11 with
I've been in peri-menopause for over a year. I had a period in October, then nothing until I had my RNY in June. Nothing since then. I KNOW it had to be hormone imbalance from the surgery that caused me to start (and lasted 9 miserable days).

Distal RNY 6/11 SW 456  CW 311 Complications: Small bowel strangulation 12/23/2012, non healing surgical incision--ongoing.  Still.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 365 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 284 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 219 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 306 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 129 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?