Recommendations on Eating Plan?

Shanneee
on 8/13/11 4:52 am - MN
I'm 2 1/2 weeks out and got the go ahead to start introducing soft foods into my diet and solid foods next week.  At my follow up appointment, I asked the surgeon what "numbers" I am supposed to be staying within each day.  He said to drink at least 64 ounces of liquids, get 60 ounces of protein and stay under 1,000 calories, but not to worry if I am less than that. 

Now that I am starting to introduce these "real" foods into my diet I can't help but feel a little lost.  I have NO clue what kind of meal plan I should follow.  It just seems so...unstructured.  Which for someone like me can be a bit dangerous. 

Do you follow a structured eating plan?  If so, what does that mean for you?  Do you have any recommendations for someone at my stage?  

for_my_kids
on 8/13/11 5:03 am - NC
RNY on 08/20/10 with
 from the time i left the hospital, i ate (and still do eat) 5 times per day:  7am, 10am, 1pm, 4pm, 7pm  - like clockwork. focusing on protein at every meal, pairing it with a fruit or a veggie, unless it is my protein shake (which I am still on 2 per day).  in the beginning, i ate yogurt, cottage cheese, applesauce, lots of crock pot meats, pureed green beans, white bean chicken chilli & cheese, wendys chilli, pureed cauliflower then later on same foods just not pureed, roasted peppers-onion-eggplant, scrambled eggs.  i posted a grocery list on my profile page, you can see what my staples are.  does your nutritionist have a sample meal plan they could share?  mine gave out several and i just simplidified down to a few consistent food choices for the 1st 6 months then gradually added harder foods back in.  hope this helps a little.

225+ Pounds Lost, Two Hundred...gone...but not forgotten!
gbsinsatx
on 8/13/11 9:13 am - San Antonio, TX
 Please see my profile page for the eating plan I created.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

HeatherL39
on 8/13/11 9:23 pm - MI
This is the plan that they have us on through the weight losss center I go to. We had 4 weeks of classes pre-op and 4 weeks of classes post-op. Most of them were on how to eat after surgery. I am so thankful for the fact that we had to do them.

I eat 5-6 meals a day
64 oz or more of fluids daily
60-70 grams of protein
1/2-3/4 of a cup portion of food at each meal
I journal everyday what I eat, how much I drink and my vitamins

That is the basic plan. At 2 1/2 weeks out I just looked at journal to check but I ate a lot of beans. Black beans and refried with a little reduced fat cheese. I did then and still eat a lot of greek yogurt. Great stuff!!! Lots of protein. At your stage you will just struggle to get in your protein. That is why I stuck with beans and yogurt. Easy and fit the bill. I still dont have any physical hunger and at your point had to force myself to eat. Try experimenting to see what you come up with.

I found a great blog site that has given me a ton of ideas. She is fantastic and has a lot of recipes that are just fantastic.

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/

Look her up!
Heather
Most Active
Recent Topics