When will my nutrionist let me have a green salad??

Holly O.
on 8/15/11 7:59 am - FL
I am 2 months out today.........I see my nutrionist in Sept.  I asked her a few weeks ago if I could have  a vegteble salad.  She said no.  She said it would cause like a "hair ball" in my stomach.  Can we ever have salad again??? 
   Holly                                      
poet_kelly
on 8/15/11 8:03 am - OH
Of course we can have salad again.  Did she say you could never have it?

The way you phrased this question is kind of worrisome to me.  You want to know when she will let you have salad.  Well, how is she going to stop you from having one?  She recommends not having salad right now, but she isn't not letting you have one.  You can choose to take her advise or not to take it.  You have control over what you do and don't eat, not your dietician.

My surgeon said I should not eat raw veggies until eight weeks out.  I was a little over two months out the first time I had salad.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Holly O.
on 8/15/11 8:14 am - FL
Your right Kelly...........just she scared me when she said this.  I am just 8 weeks out............so maybe when I see her in Sept. it will be on my new updated food plan.  I just wouldn't want to have something surgically removed.  That is scarey to me!!
   Holly                                      
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/15/11 8:58 am - OH
The idea of a "hair ball" in your pouch caused by salad is completely ridiculous (and sounds like a shady scare tactic to me).  There is no reason for you to be scared that salad will result in you having to have surgery!!

Be patient.  Right now you need ALL your pouch space for protein.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

katheek
on 8/15/11 8:08 am - Cosmopolis, WA
I had salad approximately two months out but you know what I learned right here on OH, to make sure I could chose romaine lettuce instead of iceberg...

Every once in awhile if I am eating out and I order a taco salad I have to eat iceberg but not very much of it, I go to the meat, cheese, tomatoes.

I don't think I have ever seen a taco salad made with romaine....

I was scared to try salad but it goes down so easy.  Try it if you'd like but remember it should not replace protein.  I know it seems weird to eat the salad after, we are so use to eating salad before the main meal...

KATHEE K

Holly O.
on 8/15/11 8:15 am - FL
Thanks Kathee!!
   Holly                                      
seeingthelight
on 8/15/11 8:52 am
I just had salad for the first time this past weekend.  Im going on 8 weeks also and had no problem at all
Jflyny
on 8/15/11 8:59 am
I still can't believe I crave salad, cracks me up. I started having salad 2 months out. I am 3 months out and have a salad daily. It's funny. I can tolerate salad, but can't tolerate bread or pizza crust. I guess that's a good thing. Good luck to you.

Tammy G.
on 8/15/11 10:11 am
RNY on 06/16/11 with
I started eating salads last week--my first was a taco salad. No problems whatsoever. Loved it!

My nutritionist cleared me on all foods at 6 weeks.

Distal RNY 6/11 SW 456  CW 311 Complications: Small bowel strangulation 12/23/2012, non healing surgical incision--ongoing.  Still.

losing-jennifer
on 8/15/11 9:13 pm
I couldn't wait until 3 months to have salad so I had it month 2. I did butter lettuce and cukes topped with meat. Those went down fine. I figured I'd start with some easy salad stuff before trying carrots or peppers.
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 404 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 450 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 345 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 348 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 190 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?