Pre_surgery Educational Program

H0WD0Y0ULIKEMEN0
W

on 8/17/11 1:05 am - Baltimore, MD

The Bariatric Institute at Franklin Square is the only center in the northeastern region to offer an exclusive Three Track Treatment Option to ensure all patients' needs are met.

Track I

Designed for patients with no prior surgical program attendance and/or weight management education. This track offers a full spectrum of exercise, nutrition, counseling and education sessions required to ensure patients have a full understanding of the pre and post-surgical process.

Track II

Designed for patients who have partially completed their pre-surgical program at another institution. Track II is completed under the supervision of dieticians, therapists and wellness coordinators.

Track III

Designed for patients who have completed a comprehensive pre-surgical program at another institution. This track includes a dietary, counseling, psychological and surgical education session.

* Assignment of tracks will be based on the consultation with your bariatric surgeon, the bariatric program coordinator and insurance requirement. Supporting documentation is required for proper track placement.

I would like to get feedback from other members about this.  Has anyone gone through a similiar program.

I graduated from Track I on September 1, 2011 and see the surgeon on September 2, 2011 as a pre opt appointment and to get approval from insurance company.

Would love to hear feed back on this. 

Highest Weight: 235 Pre op Start Weight:222 Surgery Weight 205 Current Weight:152Goal Weight: 118
Nothing taste as good as Thin feels      

Hillery82211
on 8/17/11 3:12 am - New Carrollton, MD
RNY on 08/22/11 with
I'm pretty sure that Franklin Square isn't the only center in the NE region with that program set-up because I'm going through Inova Health Systems in Northern Virginia (right outside of DC) and they have a similar program, thought it’s not specifically set up in "tracks", its kinda like they do the initial consultation with the surgeon/bariatric team and based on your insurance requirements and past history, they design a plan for you, but all the plan follow that general three track approach.

My initial consultation was in early February.  I'd already gone through a medical weight loss program for 6 months on my own dime with minimal results, so initially I was told that getting those records from the doctor/program would satisfy the insurance requirement for previous weight loss/nutritional program (my insurance required only a 3 month program). However, the program didn’t want to release the records/wouldn’t return the phone calls of the surgical teams’ medical records coordinator, so to keep from losing valuable time, I opted to participate in the program (similar to your track 1) offered though the hospital. It consisted of 3 months of nutritional classes, bi-weekly weigh-ins (where the goal was to maintain or loose 3% of the excess weight per your surgeon’s orders) and attendance of exercise classes at the hospital (or any classes with a certified personal training that would write you a letter stating attendance).
After completion of the 3 month class, my insurance approved my surgery within about a week and I was given my surgery date almost immediately. It’s funny because I actually had to get them to push the date back a few weeks because the date I was given was RIGHT around the corner and it didn’t allow time for me to get approved leave for work and make other arrangements. Today (8/17) I am 5 days away from my surgery date (8/22). Over-all I think it was the best decision for me to take the classes, because I learned SO much information that wasn’t taught during my medical weight-loss program. I think had I not participated, I wouldn’t be fully equipped for the changes that will occur post-op and likely I would have been one of those folks that “regain" post-op. I wasn’t happy about spending the money initially, but I do think it was money well spent!
Most Active