Menopause

bomoni727
on 8/20/11 1:57 am - MN
Hello Everyone,
I finally got a date after more than 6 years of jumping through every hoop possible.  My surgery date is September 7th.  I will be starting my two week liquid diet on Wednesday, August 24th.  My question to you is whether or not menopause affects your weight loss after surgery.  One reason among many that I gained so much weight was as soon as I hit menopause no matter what I did the weight just piled on.  I know this can be a hormonal thing so would just like to hear about your experiences being menopausal after having weight loss surgery.  Any info or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Monica
amarie319
on 8/20/11 2:08 am - Cicero, NY
I'm 54 and had my surgery on 8/3 and so far have lost 23lbs. I don't think menopause is stopping my weight loss at all, thank God!! Just follow the plan and do exactly what you are supposed to do. Remember this is only a tool, you have to learn how to use it correctly.
        [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w2IXBfw/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w2IXBfw/weight.png[/img]
[/url]                            
Ladytazz
on 8/20/11 4:23 am
I was 52 when I had my revision and I lost weight better then the first time I had surgery at 45.  Just follow the program and I am sure you will do fine.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Rebecca H.
on 8/20/11 5:46 am
I'm 51 and had my surgery 5/6 and I've lost 41 lbs. I still get my period but only about 4 or 5 times year.... so maybe I'm not totally menopausal but i feel GREAT and it's only going to get better!!

dasie
on 8/20/11 7:30 am
I was 54 when I had surgery, and I was in menopause. I am 56 now.   It did not hinder my weight loss.  I had horrific symptoms....bad, really, really bad.  I was never so happy when that ordeal was finally over.  However once I had surgery, I did have a "slight" return of my hot flashes, but it was  NOTHING like it was previously.  I rarely have any now.  Thank God that is over.  I was a slow loser, so I did not have a scale in my house because I did not want to become discouraged if it went slowly.  Now in maintenance I weigh every day.

My word of wisdom:

My surgeon said make the most of this opportunity - especially the first 6 months.  Six months into this I read a post by a woman who was years out....more than 5 if I remember correctly.  She was giving her words of wisdom and what worked for her.  The thing that stood out to me was this:  She said lose as much as you can as fast as you can while the losing is easy.  She reiterated what my surgeon said.  That was front and center for me.  I thought I'd pass it on.

bomoni727
on 8/20/11 8:10 am - MN
 Thanks everyone for your excellent pointers.  I will remember them all after my surgery.  I will make sure to keep everyone posted because I will rely heavily on this site once I am home from surgery.  Very impressive site with so many people who know their stuff!!
TrueNorthFriend
on 8/20/11 10:55 am - Canada
 At 57 I was entirely post menopausal when I had the surgery.  Don't really know if I was slow or fast loser...  I'm 21 mos out and have lost 121 lbs and am sitting at a good weight for me.  I do notice that my weight does not fluctuate like it did pre-meno... so that is a blessing.  I see lots of  younger women in total panic because of big monthly fluctuations in weight.  I don't think menopause is a help or hindrance.  Like someone else said... I did strangely return to hot flashes for awhile - but I think that had more to do with a touch of reactive hypogylycemia.  If I don't keep my protein level up throughout the day, my blood sugar goes a little wonky.  But even that has settled down quite a bit.  

Good luck!  You should be fine.
rbb825
on 8/20/11 6:25 pm - Suffern, NY
On the day of my surgery 10/27/08 I was 46 and at that point was only getting my period about 2-3 times per year.  At that point, I hadn't had one in 5 months.  I went into surgery and sure enough, I woke up and I had my period. From what I have heard from many, whether woman are expecting it or not, the get it either the day of surgery or the day after either from the stress of surgery, the blood thinners they give you or the combination of the 2.  Well, just what we need while in bed recovering from major surgery is to have our periods.  Since I didn't expect it, I didn't bring anything with me and I dont' live near the hospital, so I didn't have anyone to bring me any supplies.  I asked the nurse for tampons and pads and she told me they aren't allowed to give out tampons and they had to find me some pads = they dont' stock them.  After about 2 hours, they finally came in with the old fashioned pads with a belt from the maternity ward.  I couldn't believe it.  There was no way with abdominal surgery I was going to wear that around my waist.  So I asked for safety pins and that took another hour.  What an ordeal

Be glad you won't have to deal with this for your surgery. Well, it turns out that was the last period I ever had. It lasted for the 4 days I was in the hospital and that was it.  Never again. Thankfully, now almost 3 years later the hot flashes are gone too.  I will be 49 and I am done. Thank goodness.

As far as weight loss, I don't think it hindered me at all.  I did lose slower than alot of others on here but I was a lightweight.  It took me 14 months to lose 100 pounds which was my original goal, it wasnt' until I got sick this winter with complications that I lost alot more.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 362 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 271 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 195 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 298 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 123 views
Recent Topics