when your sick...

apple1975
on 8/20/11 5:55 am
I have a terrible sinus infection. I should have went to the doctor today. I am self medicating with Benadryl, Jr. Strength tylenol (liquid), and nasal spray. My problem...when I stir up my powdered vitamins with liquid, the moment that gritty concoction hits my throat, I throw up.:(  I am also having trouble getting the protein in while I am sick. Any advise on how to beat this.

Thanks
Ale L.
on 8/20/11 5:59 am
RNY on 03/08/11 with
 sorry to hear you are so sick...try different types of protein.

some people like the protein waters (isopure)...i have never liked them, but you might and they are not gritty.

some poeple try the RTD protein shakes which tend to me less gritty.

or try to eat more protein rich foods like cheese, deli meet, beef jerkey, etc...

hope you feel better soon!  i think you should try going to the doctor...you may need antibiotics.

maggiet
on 8/20/11 6:44 am - Durham, NC
When was your surgery? What stage of eating are you at? I'd also suggest trying to get the protein from foods instead of the mixes right now. And if you go a few days below the recommended protein, so be it. Just try to get in as much as you can. AND GO SEE THE DOCTOR! lol

poet_kelly
on 8/20/11 10:44 am - OH
You can skip the vitamins for a couple days without doing any harm to yourself.  If you stay sick for very long, you'll need to find a way to get them in anyway, but for a couple days just don't worry about it.  Try harder with the protein but if you're low on that for a couple days, that's not a big deal either.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

rbb825
on 8/20/11 5:35 pm - Suffern, NY
First off, you need to get to the doctor ASAP to get checked out - don't let a sinus infection get out of hand, you may need an antibiotic.

I am not sure how far out you are - you dont list any information in your profile.  Why powdered vitamins? Never even heard of them.  Even if newly out of surgery, there are plenty of other options you could use that are much better tastin that won't bother your throat and are probably much better for you.

You can get in any pharmacy  - centrum silver chewables - take  2 per day and they taste good like a berry sweet tart.

You calcium = if you can't swallow pills yet - you can get chewables at bariatric advantage  - either lozenges - 500mg each - take 3or 4 daily or the chewies - 250mg each = take 2 at a time 3 or 4 times daily. or you could do a combination of the 2. I personally love the raspberry chewies and the cherry lozenges.  Raspberry chewies are like starburst and the lozenges are like sweet tarts.   A treat 3 or 4 times per day.

B12 you can get sublingual or take a injection.

Iron - you can get chewables from vitalady.com until you can swallow the pills - make sure they are carbonyl iron.

apple1975
on 8/20/11 10:07 pm
Thanks for the advise guys. I am actually 5 weeks out tomorrow. I have lost 40 pounds. My clinic sells our products and vitamins in there. I have been afraid to try anything else yet. I am going to see my PCP Monday and hopefully beat this thing. I haven't posted alot of info about myself yet but plan on it soon. With 3 teenagers, coaching cheerleading, and teaching kindergarten, among all of our duties as wives and mothers, I am just keeping my head above water.lol I'm sure you all understand. Have a blessed day.:)

255/160/140  *first goal reached 1/14/12     Phillipians 4:13
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 420 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 432 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 259 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 330 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?