6 Months out!

AKSteveB
on 8/25/11 5:18 am - Anchorage, AK
OH's automail service reminded me that I just hit my 6 month anniversary!  Time flies when you are (mostly) having fun.  This seems like a good time to review the good, the bad, and the just different for anyone who is on this journey or thinking about it! 

The Pros
------------
1.  Overall, I'm very glad overall that I did the surgery.
2.  Diabetes was gone ..the next day.  No more pills, no more nothing.
3.  Same for high blood pressure.
4.  For the most part had an easy recovery.  The surgeon (Dr. Swain) is apparently a true artist.  I've had several compliments from other docs on his work, lack of much scarring etc.
5.  I can eat almost anything (except onions for some reason!).  Some things seem easier than other and of course portions are real restricted.  In general, real dry is not fun.
6.  I'm now down under 200 lbs for the first time since ...at least High School.  I'd never have gotten here without the surgery.  That is about 80lbs in 6 months.
7.  I've been real strict about getting supplementation done.  Labs have been good.  Iron was low for awhile, but that seems to have resolved.
7.  I have almost crazy energy.  I guess I've moved some of my OCD nature over to excercise.  There are worse things :)
8.  Speaking of which, I have an almost crazy libido!

The Cons
-------------
1.  I have an almost crazy libido!
2.  GAS.  Ugggggh.  It does look like I've found something that does a good job on it.  An antibiotic called Rifaximin.  I guess one of the issues we have post RNY is an overgrowth of bacteria in the Y section.  Rixaximin is an antibiotic which is only absorbed by the gut.
3.  The weight change has definitely created issues in my relationship.  My GF continues gaining as I lose.  It creates real issues with sexual chemistry ..plus I really wish I had a workout/activity partner.
4.  A couple of fevers of unknown origin, one a few days post surgery ...and two of them later on.  Nothing seemingly directly related to the surgery though.
5.  Going to a restaurant, or eating on the road is more of a chore than a pleasure.  Appetizers and the like work well ..but it just isn't quite the same.

The Weird
-------------
1.  Having a medium body type build, after a lifetime of being "heavyset" (even while not vastly overweight).  I'm used to having a certain physical presence/domination of a situation, and it is odd to not feel that.  That may resolve as I rebuild muscle tone.  I've only recently been able to get back to lifting weights.  First was the post surgery restriction ..then soon after I cracked by tailbone (ouch!).
2.  I think I was more of a lightweight (about 6 foot 280) than most who have this surgery.  I have a tough time with what (to me) seems some of the obsession on getting maximum nutritional value out of every bite of food and never even touching the bad stuff.  That might be because I don't *think* food addiction was as huge an issue to me as it is to some.  My goal is to be healthy.  If that happens at 190 lbs, so be it, if at 210 ..so be it.  I have no plans to never have another potato chip or another chocolate chip cookie the rest of my life.  I like the fact that it is real easy to have a small portion and stop.
3.  Did I mention my libido :)

Thanks everyone.  I'm so glad this site and this community is here!
(deactivated member)
on 8/25/11 5:25 am - TX
That is great about your discipline with the food. I wish I could say the same - I crave and want those bad things. But I don't eat them. At least not most of the time. I know my future success depends on it.

I understand your 'weird.' I am 5'10 and I used to be 250 lbs and was just used to being the big person and having a lot of strength, plus I do karate and was used to being the overpowering sparring person - size served me well with that. Now, not so much - although I have to say my cardio is kicking butt.

I am in the 180's for the first time in 20 years. Hope to get to the 150's, its a great feeling. Glad you are doing well.