Can B12 ever be too high?

Jessica A.
on 8/25/11 8:11 am - Auburn, AL
A couple weeks ago, I had my 6 month checkup and my B12 was 432..pretty low I know.  So I immediately started taking a sublingual 2500 mcg once a day.  In the past week and a half I have been extremely tired and lethargic and my nails started changing colors. They started out kind of yellowish but are now orangish.  I saw the doc on Tuesday and had my B12 ran again and it's up to 1327. Should I back off some on my sublingual?   I have to go back because now my liver enzyme ALT is elevated and have to get that rechecked.  Does anyone know or have this issue with their nails?  Does anyone know if your B12 can ever get too high?  

Also, in regards to my nails.  No, I  haven't had any carrots or sweet potatoes since my surgery, no excessive orange foods.  I do not wear nail polish and haven't used any new products of any kind.  I haven't used any chemicals of any kind either.  I even use cleaning gloves when I use my household cleaners.  Very weird this discoloration.  

The doctor I saw was just an on-call doc and didn't have much to say to me.  My follow-up is with my primary though so I am hoping he's got better answers for me.

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 8/25/11 8:12 am - Belleville, IL
No...It's water soluble and non-toxic...Mine normally runs around 2000 and the surgeon was unconcerned. (I use the injecatble 2 x a month).

You are in far more danger being UNDER 500. Your numbers look really good...Now just keep 'em that way!

Warmly,
Jackie

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 8/25/11 8:16 am - Belleville, IL
Also, I wanted to add...You are still a newbie, and it is VERY, very common the first year for Liver Enzymes (AST/ALT) to be really elavated because (as my surgeon explained)..."What is your liver doing? Transporting MASSIVE amounts of fats and toxins out of your body."

Your enzymes will level out within a year when your weight loss slows (UNLESS you are on Methotrexate or some kind of Chemo drug).

Also many formerly obese and "newbies" have fatty liver or NASH which can also cause elevated enzymes...Again...Wait until april of NEXT year 2012 to get a more accurate reading.  Mine are messed up but I have been on Chemo, Prednisone and uber high doses of Tylenol (4+ grams a day).
Warmly,
Jackie

poet_kelly
on 8/25/11 8:32 am - OH
I have never heard of B12 making your nails orange.  You might wanna email vitalady and ask her, though.  As far as B12 being too high, whether or not it can be too high depends on who you ask.  But 1327 is not too high. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kristen M.
on 8/26/11 12:25 am - VA

i also do the sublingual of 2500mcg. my doctor told me you cannot get TOO much b12. whatever your body doesn't need- it simply disposes of itself. hope this helps!

What you do today creates every tomorrow-Oprah    
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 370 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 212 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 100 views