I have a Question

Amerylus
on 8/28/11 6:50 am - CA
I Having My psychiatry Consult I Would Like To Know What is Cover and how do they decide if you past or not.
nfarris79
on 8/28/11 6:55 am - Germantown, MD
 Psych evals are not usually a "pass/fail" kind of thing. They're just trying to see if you're mentally stable & prepared enough to recommend this surgery and that the psychological impact of obesity will be improved by the surgery. They'll likely talk to you about how your moods are, what your coping skills are, how you deal with stress, who in your life supports you.... things like that.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Lisa R.
on 8/28/11 6:57 am - CA
They just want to make sure you are level headed and you under stand the risk that surgery has.  They also want to make sure you have not hung all your hopes in life on getting thin from surgery, like if you don't get the results you want are you going to do something stupid, or life threatening.  

I think they also want to see your attitude about food and if you really are ready to change your behaviors, because the surgery is just a tool, you have to do all the work.  Some people think they are going to have surgery and keep living life the same way and the surgery will just magically take off the weight.  

Just go in and be yourself, answer  the questions honestly and be truthful.  It is an important step in the process.  Good Luck. 

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
shellb58
on 8/28/11 6:57 am - WA
Mine was a short cons. with the psych. Just talking to see if you are nuts. LOL Then I took a two hour test on common sense questions. They let me know  a few days later if I was able to handle the surgery.
shelley veturis            
Price S.
on 8/28/11 8:48 am - Mills River, NC
From reading here, I realize they vary greatly from one practice to another.  Mine was a many page document to fill out and return then an hour meeting with the psych.  It was easy.  She told me when we met that I "passed" and we scheduled my next Dr visit.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Duck_Girl
on 8/28/11 8:51 am
Mine was 700 multiple choice questions there were over the top insane...

Like "do you want to hurt small animals" "do you dream about killing humans" etc...

It was comical to me atleast... But mine was 4 years ago with my lapband. My rny doc didn't have me re do it .

Cleveland34
on 8/28/11 11:25 am
Many times they will give you the MMPI-@ test which consists of about 500 questions. It is used to determine any underlying mental health conditions thats you may have. My advice to you as a fellow WLS individual and in working in my degree as a mental health counselor that you answer truthfuly and to the best of your knowledge What they are looking for are severe disturbances in mental health status or suidical ideations.  Things such as depression or anxiety are to be expected with WLS patients. I wish you the best of luck on your journey.l

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 333 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 371 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 332 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 222 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 101 views
Recent Topics