Embarassed at Costco

Paula F.
on 8/28/11 6:30 am - Rochester Hills , MI
I am going to apologize up front for the length of my post.

I have been spending today taking care of what I can for my family before having my surgery tomorrow am.  One of those errands was some shopping at Costco.  Up until today most peoploe have made me feel uncomfortable about the surgery when they would comment that they didn't think I was overweight enough.  At my first weigh in with the surgeon I was above the weight at which I delievered both of my children.

Well, leave it to a little one to give you an innocent and truthful, but no less painful observation of your condition.  This very sweet little angel asked me if I had a baby in my tummy.  I think an adult would be aware that I am not pregnant as I carry my weight differently, but mom just continued to go about emptying her cart.  Again, I was prodded with the question and replied, no, I was not.  By the time she got to the fourth time, I told her I was too old to have babies anymore and increasingly irritated with mom for not saying something to her little one.  When she asked on more time if I was positive, as politely as I could I said no, I am just fat.  Also, this conversation was loud on her end and due to the long lines other people were staring at me. 
I just wanted to disappear in shame.

When I got to the car I thought I was going to cry, but made a conscious effort to find a positive side to this little girl's assessment of me.  I decided that it was what I needed to hear and wasy perhaps meant to hear the day before my surgery to reaffirm that I have made the right choice.  So, I am holding my head up high and looking forward to the door closing on my obese self and a new one opening for my healthier, slimmer self.

The only other time I was that mortified by my weight was when I was 8mo. pregnant with my son and ran into an old roommate (stick thin) at a dental convention and she asked if I was expecting twins. I could have died right there.  My baby is now 14 yrs. old and I am bigger than I was that humiliating day.

So, here's to starting over and grabbing the opportunity to have a better life.  Any prayers for a successful surgery tomorrow are greatly appreciated!
nfarris79
on 8/28/11 6:48 am - Germantown, MD
 A positive mind-set is a really good way to start this journey! I'm glad that you chose to take this as fuel for your fire and good luck tomorrow!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

godsend213
on 8/28/11 6:50 am - Fort Carson, CO
((Hugs)) Don't let it get to you. Maybe that was supposed to happen to assure you, you made the right choice. I am a firm believer things happen for a reason. I am 5 months out of surgery and people treat a thinner person SOOOO much differently, just wait and see. I have had my fair share of comments and bullying because of my weight growing up and that is all over now and in the past. Good luck on your surgery will say an extra prayer for you. Let your journey begin and be amazing!!!! :) 

I want to participate in life, not observe!  

Lisa R.
on 8/28/11 6:51 am - CA
I too was a light weight at the time of surgery, 236lbs and 5'8".  Everyone told me that I didn't need the surgery.  

Really?  What, do I NEED to get to be 300, 350, 400 before I do something about it?  How is it the business of anybody other then myself and my doctor if I am the right "size" for surgery.

You are lucky because you saw your red flag early, like I did.  Some people allow those ignorant comments like "your not big enough" for surgery to penetrate their brain and rule their decision making and they unfortunately end up waiting until they are even more heavy.  

That mother at Costco needs her head examined!  My child was not allowed to talk to strangers and even now at 15 years old if my son where with me talking to someone I didn't know I would be listening to what was being said on both ends.  But we can't help bad parenting  Good for you that you kept your cool, I don't know if I would have been so graceful with her after the 3rd time.

Good luck!  Keep us all posted on your surgery results.   

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
StevesGal
on 8/28/11 7:30 am - Hamilton, Canada

After the 2nd time, I would have said, "No.  Now stop asking."  With a glare at the mother.

Good luck on your new journey!!

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

Go-Nicole-Go
on 8/28/11 7:30 am - MA
Good for you! I'm like a week and a half out... If I were in that situation I would have called the mother out or asked her if Mommy doesn't teach manners... But I'm kind of a *****
wynter57
on 8/28/11 7:43 am - Panama City, FL

I am so sorry you went through that but good for you that you didn't let it ruin your whole day. Don't even get me started on parents these days that do not teach their children any manners or at minimum listen to what the children are saying to someone because children DO embarrass people half to death sometimes, so this was the mothers fault totally.

I will pray for you right now. I know I had a lot of prayers going up for my surgery and I know that's one of the reasons I have done as well as I have.

God bless you and please do keep us updated on your surgery.

Wynter

VBG Surgery 4/17/1989 - Revision TO RNY 8/22/2011 - 4 Days Prior To Surgery WT: 309.5

cheermonkeysmom
on 8/28/11 7:51 am - Smithsburg, MD
I have been a similar situation, but with an adult asking the question. I promptly told them no and that I could not have anymore children...but I wasn't brave enough to say I was fat. I have struggled with my weight since I had my daughter almost 12 years ago, but I guess I wasn't ready to face my weight. Once I began having my stomach issues (was diagnosed with gatroparesis), I began to realize how my weight was affecting my health at the age of 36. So my husband and I, both being overweight, decided to have RNY done at the beginning of the year. I allowed my kids to take pictures of me, but never really looked at them. It wasn't until after surgery and looking at our vacation pictures that I realized how heavy we both were and how grateful I am that my health insurance provided coverage so that we could be begin a healthier life. This is a second chance for all of us. Good Luck as you begin your journey.
 Highest Weight - 220/ Date of Surgery - 194/ Goal Weight - 125 CW 122  2nd Goal - 115

teachermarsha
on 8/28/11 8:01 am
Will be praying for you tomorrow.  Good luck.

browneyez611
on 8/28/11 8:04 am
Good Luck on your surgery tomorrow.  You will do GREAT.  Prayers and thoughts coming your way.