Need opinions please

mamawof5
on 8/29/11 1:58 am - IN

I am 4 weeks post op tomorrow. Last night was the first time I've been sick to my stomach. I had dinner, 1/2 of a very small chicken breast and a tablespoon of french style green beans. I'm not sure if I ate too much or ate too fast or if it's still too early for this type of food. I chewed very very small pieces till they were were nonexistent...lol. I got this terrible pain between my rib cage and finally threw up. I felt better instantly, but then every time I would take a drink for the next 2 hours I would instantly get get sick again.  This morning I got up feeling good, had my 1/2 cup of coffee and thought all was well, until, I tried to eat 2 tablespoons of oatmeal. The pain and the vomiting started again immediately. Is it just too early for the kind of food I had last night and should I go back to clears for a couple days? This is first trouble of any kind I've had so I need all the help I can get...lol

SweetLilyAnn
on 8/29/11 2:09 am - TX
I had an incident like that and that is what I did - went back to clear liquids just to let my belly rest. Personal question....are you going to the bathroom easily? Any Constipation?

HW: 328   GW: 164  CW: 159  Height - 5' 8"  
GOAL REACHED 12/15/2012!!!!!!!!!

RNY Surgery Date:  6/21/11  
LBL/BL  - 11/6/2012 Arm Lift with Abdominal Lipo - 12/11/2012 - Dr. Paul PIn
Love me without restriction, trust me without fear, want me without demand and accept me for who I am.         - unknown - 

mrslatch
on 8/29/11 2:16 am - Fort Campbell, KY
My main concern is are you able to keep liquids down? If not, call your surgeon. It might be a stricture if you can't keep anything down.
Morgan  My Blog
Proud Army Wife! 

mamawof5
on 8/29/11 2:17 am - IN
Not going to the bathroom at all
Dave Chambers
on 8/29/11 2:17 am - Mira Loma, CA
Some post ops have issues with chicken breast meat.  It tends to be dry, and that seems to be the issue. I know I can tolerate skinless boneless chicken thighs much easier. The dark meat is moister and seems to be easier to swallow, and offers less "issues" after eating it.  It might be slightly early for chicken too--check with your surgeon's protocol about when to introduce chicken into your diet.  Oatmeal may also offer challenges.  I used oatmeal at 4 weeks, but I used the 1 minute oats, and cooked them 3 minutes, adding some Stevia and unflavored protein, and maybe a little cinnamon.  Steel cut oats ARE very difficult to digest. You might handle Cream of Wheat easier now--that was one of the foods my surgeon listed as OK on soft food portion of post op protocol. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

JENNI-8yrsPostOP
on 8/29/11 2:23 am
What does your doctor want you on at 4 weeks out? I was on liquids for 3 then soft mushy foods at week 4. I didn't eat a half a chicken breast or anything on the side for at least another month. Chicken is hard to digest as it's dense protein (like beef). What stage were you on the week before for food? For the first 6 months or more my meals consisted of protein only - I couldn't fit in anything else. I was on 3 tablespoons of food at first per meal then a small cup (like a nyquil cup) each meal. No more. At 4 weeks out your sutures aren't healed up yet. You won't feel full or over full until the nerves that were cut are healed and the suture line closed up. You don't want to put too much into your new pouch as you can expand it or rupture the sutures requiring another surgery to repair it. Only eat what you're suppose to. You probably damaged the surgical site inside with throwing up-it's temporary but needs time to heal. Whenever we throw up we go back on liquids for 24 hours to allow it to heal. You might want to check with your doc to see if he wants to see you. Sometimes denser foods early out can tear or cause a problem with our newly formed pouch. Go back to liquids and take it easy. Remember you're still healing inside. That takes 6-8 weeks to happen. Call your doc if you're concerned and stick to soft mushy or pureed foods this early out.
Jen 9 yrs post op
nfarris79
on 8/29/11 2:40 am - Germantown, MD
 Yep, what Jenni said. Those may be kinda hard for so early out and chicken eaten too fast is the ONE time I've ever had food stuck & had to throw up. Spent the next day or two doing liquids until things settled down.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

DivineMs.M
on 8/29/11 2:51 am
I agree with posters above.  I dont tolerate chicken at 2 years out.  I would be concerned about not pooping.  Give the doc a call to make sure about everything. 
sumueulu
on 8/29/11 3:25 am
Bc you had to vomit, your insides are all riled up and need to calm down. That's why you still had issues this morning. Just need to take it easy today. May be better tomottow.
mamawof5
on 8/29/11 11:35 pm - IN
Thank you all soooo much for your help. Today is amazing day  the wall of POOH has finally burst...lol. TMI I know but I cannot believe the difference in the way I feel to day compared to yesterday! Who would've ever believed I could lose 3 whole pounds just from using the bathroom.WOOHOO!!!! Thanks again ...
Most Active
Recent Topics