vitamins

Raynae S.
on 8/30/11 10:44 pm - PA
 I cant find gummy or liquid multi vitamins with iron anywhere.  Can I take a multi vitamin and then buy liquid iron?  How much iron do I need daily?  I am having surgery on Friday and I want all my supplies at home for when I get out of hospital.  Thanks!

Mia H.
on 8/30/11 11:20 pm - OH
 You can take centrum chewables.  The regular kind has iron in it.  

Sharyn S.
on 8/30/11 11:22 pm - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
That's because gummy vites are made for children and children don't typically need iron.

PLEASE use an adult vitamin.

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

poet_kelly
on 8/31/11 2:00 am - OH
Gummies are missing a lot of other things kids do need, though, like many of the B vitamines.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Raynae S.
on 8/30/11 11:53 pm - PA
 I have found gummy adult vitamins at Walmart but they didnt have iron in them.  I will check out the Centrum.  Thanks!

poet_kelly
on 8/31/11 1:59 am - OH
Don't take gummy vitamins.  They are missing all kinds of things we need, not just iron.

Yeah, you can take a multi with no iron and then take iron separately.  Lots of us do that.

The ASMBS says menstruating women need 54-63 mg iron a day.  Others need 36 mg.  Unless your labs indicate you need more, of course.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Samantha L.
on 8/31/11 2:14 am - Petaluma, CA
Kelly,
  I was looking at these: 

OPURITY™ BYPASS-Optimized Multi - Chewable

and wondering if they are alright.   My issues have to do with iron and calcium in the same tablet.  It says they use minimum calcium so as not to interfere with the iron, but would it not still interfere?  Also, it says that only 1 tablet daily is required.. can that be correct?  They are a bit pricey.. but, as it's my health we're talking about, I think we can absorb the costs. 

I guess my questions are: Is it worth the extra expense?  and Are these really better than taking 2 Centrum Performance Multis plus my seperate iron? 

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

poet_kelly
on 8/31/11 2:21 am - OH
There is so little calcium in this that it will not interfere with the iron.  You need about 200 mg of calcium or a bit more before it interferes with iron.  I don't know why they even bothered putting 50 mg calcium in these, though.  That's so little it's not worth bothering with, IMO.

I think these vitamins are OK but I do not think they are better than taking two Centrum.  Taking two Centrum is probably actually a little better.  I also know that some people that know a lot more about vitamins than I do don't really like these very much.  If it's super important to you to only have to take one tablet a day, then do these.  Otherwise, I would just do two Centrum.

Samantha L.
on 8/31/11 2:28 am - Petaluma, CA
Thanks again.  I will stick with what I'm doing, then.  =]

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 363 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 203 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 118 views