crackers, pickles, salsa, cheese dip

crystal P.
on 9/7/11 11:45 am - KY
ok so if these foods fall under my guidelines for the fat, sugar amounts am I allowed to have them, crackers, pickles, salsa, and cheese dip

also I need some ideas on pureed/soft foods phase, i am getting bored with what I am eating

surgery date RNY 8/10/11, HW 345, SW 323, CW 308, GW 155-160, SGW 135

"what doesnt kill me, can only make me stronger"        
poet_kelly
on 9/7/11 11:59 am - OH
You are allowed to have whatever you want.  You are an adult and you get to make your own choices.

So early out, I would really limit starchy carbs like crackers.  You need your pouch space for protein.

If the cheese dip is made with low fat cheese, I see no problem with it.  If it's high in fat, I would only eat a little if I ate any.

I see no issues with pickles or salsa.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

bittybabynurse
on 9/7/11 1:51 pm - MN
I could eat the insides of the pickles, but I still have a little trouble with the skin on the pickle. Just doesn't sit right.
Highest  272 Consult 265 Goal 165 Current 158    

Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker]
Sparklegigi
on 9/7/11 2:40 pm - La Verne, CA
stay away from the crackers, pickles and cheese dip.  The carbs are not good for u at any stage, but especially how far u r out of surgery.  I was allowed crackers too but stopped eating them right away, it will cause a stall eventually but you will be addicted by then.

smithgirl71
on 9/7/11 8:37 pm - OH
RNY on 02/22/10 with
 I love, love, love pickles and salsa and have no trouble with either.  They are high in sodium but good in the others.

steve D.
on 9/7/11 11:32 pm - West Fargo, ND
We need to become proficient at reading nutritional labels so we know what we are consuming.  Pickles are a great example.  Low in calories, carbs, etc, but high in sodium.   Does that mean we cannot eat them?  No, we just have to make sure we balance our intake so we don't get too much of something, even protein. 

This is part of the the change in our lifestyle habits.  Good logging of food intake should include the nutritional information.  This site, Spark people, etc. have great places for that. 

Most cheese dips tend to be extremly high in fat and a very small amount might contain all the fat you should have in a day.  Not that you can't do that but it might not be the best choice you can make.  We can indulge once in a while (if we are structured in logging our foods) but we should try to focus on better choices if we can.

Good Luck
Steve

Rebecca G.
on 9/8/11 4:06 am - Wilmington, NC
I would avoid crackers as long as possible. Watch the fat in the cheese dip...maybe only have a tiny amount. As for the pickles...they really have no nutritional value. I do eat them when I snack. Just eat a little at first and make sure you're going to tolerate the skin. You might want to wait until you're a couple of months out. I've never had a problem with them, but everyone is different.

scherrie50
on 9/8/11 5:11 am
Crystal,

I ate Wispride cheese spread in Port Wine when I was early out. I had a bad craving for cheese too and I used Triscut Whole Grain Crackers and it worked well for me. Check out the link below. I also ate pickles (the insides) but after a few of them, I didn't want them anymore, and the salsa is just veggies and I used that as a topping on meats, and beans, etc. Jus****ch labels for the sodium, sugar contents in these items and drink your water, you'll be fine!

http://www.wispride.com/html/NutritionalInformationSharpCheddarCup.html

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 405 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 452 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 347 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 349 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 202 views