Carbonyl Iron not best?

Angela *.
on 9/8/11 12:58 am - UT
I went to my first support group meeting last night and this month's meeting was basically a sales pitch from a Bariatric Advantage rep.  I asked about what type of iron was in their iron tablets....and he said Ferrous Gluconate.....because it is the "best iron for absorbtion."  I have been using generic Feosol because I read on here pre-op that Carbonyl Iron is the BEST iron for us.  ??
   *******Angela******  5'10"tall  36yrs old   SW 268 CW 180 GW 168

steve D.
on 9/8/11 1:21 am - West Fargo, ND
Best is in degrees.  I also use Feosol and my iron levels are fine.  I bet if there were a Feosol rep at the meeting they would probably say there product is better.  Both work fine.   I do supplement my iron with Vitamin C to support absorption too.

Steve

ladybugnessa
on 9/8/11 1:23 am - Owings Mills, MD
felsol from walmart with vit c  65 mg a day.... works for me
Nessa
Ticker is from Day of Surgery.. weight goal is personal preference as I've MET my doctor's goal

--

HG/SW/CW/GW
286/253/150/151

AnneGG
on 9/8/11 1:49 am
I can't do Feosol because of constipation issues. I take Proferrin heme iron, which unfortunately is a lot more expensive.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

poet_kelly
on 9/8/11 2:06 am - OH
This bugs me.  How is a sales pitch a support group?  blah.

Of course the sales rep said his type of iron was best.  He wouldn't have a job as a sales rep for long if he told all his potential customers that some other type of iron was best, was he?

I personally think carbonyl is better than ferrous gluconate.  Both will probably work for you though.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

hlacy
on 9/8/11 5:53 am - Chandler, AZ
I agree. It's seems perverse to me that reps are allowed to come to support groups to make sales pitches. 
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

vitalady
on 9/8/11 10:52 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Wait. BA USED to use carbonyl for their iron.

True, they have been bought now, so the formula may have changed, but the original developers believed carbonyl to be the best form.

I don't see very good results with any of the ferrous forms, and far more GI distress.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/8/11 12:23 pm - OH
NEVER blindly trust nutritional information given as part of a sales pitch!

Although the GI distress factor is not a huge issue for me since I only take a weekly iron supplement because I had a hysterectomy years ago, I was also told that carbonyl was the preferred form not only in terms of absorption but also in terms of less digestive trouble.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 9/8/11 12:52 pm - OH
Well, the BA website says their iron contains a combination of ferrous fumerate and carbonyl iron. 

So either that rep doesn't know what he's talking about and doesn't even  know what kind of iron his product has (in which case I wouldn't trust anything he said) or else he believes that the type of iron in his product is NOT the best kind (in which case why would you want to buy it?).

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

rbb825
on 9/8/11 4:03 pm - Suffern, NY
ferrous irons need a highly acidic stomach in order to be absorbed. So, anyone that takes a PPI will not absorb a ferrous iron and the majority of RNY patients have very little acid in our pouches, so we can't absorb the ferrous irons.  We need either carbonyl iron or heme iron.   Carbonyl iron is also much easier on your stomach and doesn't constipate you.  I would recommend going to vitalady.com and get tender irons - they are easy on your stomach and easy to absorb - made of carbonyl iron and the 60mg capsules have vitamin C in them to make them even more redilly absorbed.  They are really cheap too