Primetime NBC: Family Fights Fat

Lisa R.
on 9/9/11 4:30 pm - CA
Someone posted this was coming on, so I DVR'd it.  Finally got a chance to watch it tonight.  Did any or you?

They called it a controversial, risky operation.  I was a bit put off by that statement, don't think it is true.  But also, the boy who had it was 16 years old and ate over 7000 calories a day.  I guess I feel like he should have given diet and exercise a chance before surgery because I think most RNY patients have done pretty much everything they could before surgery.

This kid ate fast food everyday for most meals.  He ate a 50 piece chicken mcnugget with large fries just for lunch.  I think the show made it look like RYN patients were just massive over-eatters who don't even try to change, just go out and get surgery done.  

Well, whatever, it was interesting, but I don't think it did a lot to help the stigma attached to this surgery.   

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
mrslatch
on 9/9/11 10:29 pm - Fort Campbell, KY
I didn't know about it or see it, but from what you've described...I don't know that I want to. I really hate with people portray people who have surgery as people who do exactly what that boy did. I mean, sure, there are some who are like that. I'll never forget a woman at my informational seminar whose biggest concern was if she could have chocolate cake after surgery.

Its people like that who will only be successful losing the weight short term. But no one likes to put that information out there. Only the "its an easy way out" stuff gets ratings.
Morgan  My Blog
Proud Army Wife! 

stacyeparker
on 9/10/11 12:20 am - South Charleston, WV
I did not hear about it, but it sounds like most every show I've seen on the subject.
Was the rest of the family just as bad? I worry the poor kid will never mget used to eating properly for his new pouch. I myself struggle with all the junk around me my family still eat6s and we were never to a massive degree.
wandy06
on 9/11/11 3:21 am

I got to watch it and completely agree with you. I think that the boy was too young and should have given the opportunity to other alternatives. I am a  therapist and kept thinking that there is something wrong with him when he is eating that way in a daily basis. I continued talking back to the TV stating "it is only a tool you need to do the work. you need to look at the root of the weight gain and WHY are you eating?" ( yeah not a pretty sight) lol...  I was not happy with the message sent about WLS,  to me it fed into the societal stigma around overweight individuals, and the (pet peeve of mine) idea that WLS is "the easy way out"... 
w

Twinmama
Most Active
Recent Topics