need help, now feeling sick and smells really bothering me, ugh!

Jackie M.
on 9/9/11 8:48 pm - Fairhaven , MA
Hi, had my surgury on Tuesday 9/6 and was feeling pretty good.  Now my smell senses are soooo strong and I can smell everything.  Feeling nauseous too.  If this is normal, will it go away?  Trying to drink my water but feeling sick.  omg please tell me this goes away.  thanks, Jakcie  ( thank God for this site)

SweetLilyAnn
on 9/9/11 8:55 pm - TX
Yes, it does go away. I was so nauseous that even TV commercials with food ads would turn my stomache. I began to realize just how many food ads were on TV. There are tons. It does go away, just try to get as protein in as possible. Good Luck and congrats on your surgery.

HW: 328   GW: 164  CW: 159  Height - 5' 8"  
GOAL REACHED 12/15/2012!!!!!!!!!

RNY Surgery Date:  6/21/11  
LBL/BL  - 11/6/2012 Arm Lift with Abdominal Lipo - 12/11/2012 - Dr. Paul PIn
Love me without restriction, trust me without fear, want me without demand and accept me for who I am.         - unknown - 

Dave Chambers
on 9/9/11 11:06 pm - Mira Loma, CA

Nausea from odors and thoughts of some foods is common. It usually subsides greatly, but it may take a month or two.  DRINK your water, or you'll end up back in the hospital from dehydration--the number one reason for post ops ending back up there.  Even at 5 years post op, I get nausea from the odor of cooking bacon.  You may get nausea after eating some foods. Last night I had to take 4-5 papaya enzyme tablets about an hour after eating dinner. i suggest you keep some handy, to help get through some disgestion issues.  Some dense proteins will upset your pouch, and the papaya enzyme is good to take to get you through these episodes. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Jackie M.
on 9/10/11 12:33 am - Fairhaven , MA
HI , thanks for your comment.  I did call the doctor and spoke to him  and he said to drink alot of fluids because it sounds like I am getting dehydrated from the diarrhea i had within two days.  I have been eating my sf jello and it seems to be helping me.  He said to give it to 1 o clock and it i wasnt better to go to the hospital for fluids.  wow! cant wait until i dont have this anymore, or at least not as bad. 

beth1010
on 9/9/11 11:21 pm
RNY on 08/01/11 with
 I developed nausea pretty badly after I came home from the hospital. My doctors office gave me a prescription for Zofran and I used it for a couple days then was able to discontinue it.
poet_kelly
on 9/10/11 1:27 am - OH
Are you getting enough fluid?  Even slight dehydration can make you really nauseous.

The smell thing is normal right after surgery.  Sometimes it helps to drink your protein shakes from a cup with a lid so you can't smell them as much.  If other family members are eating stuff with strong smells, ask them to do it away from you.

Call your doc and ask for a script for Zofran for the nausea.  If you need something today, you can call today.  Even if the office is closed, there will be an answering service and they can call in a script for you.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Jackie M.
on 9/10/11 2:12 am - Fairhaven , MA
Hi Kelly, I did talk to the doctor this morning and he wouldnt give my anything for nausea, and yes probably getting dehydrated from the last couple of days of diarrhea.  We have some Zofrn tablets left over from another time.  How would i take them.  Can i crush them in something?  LOL everything was bothering me as far as smells.  I couldnt even stand the smell of my shampoo.  My husbands deodorant he had on yesterday made me put my head under the covers. LOL!  Wow, hope this goes away sooner then later. 

poet_kelly
on 9/10/11 2:16 am - OH
Why wouldn't the doc give you something for nausea?

Zofran tables are tiny, you should be able to swallow them easily but if you want to crush them in something you can do that too.

Warm peppermint tea helped me with the nausea in the early days.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

tinge-o-ginge
on 9/10/11 2:34 am - Ottawa, Canada
 I still feel this way...well, I didn't feel this way directly out of surgery it was probably one month after that it began.  I'm 2 months post op and I find it very difficult to eat a lot of the time b/c I feel so nauseous!  Smells get me often too!  I'm glad to hear that it does go away!
Does anyone have a protein bar that is good for getting the protein in because I CANNOT stand the smell or the after-taste of the shakes or powder at this point.
THANKS! 

ativar
on 9/10/11 10:50 am
 Hi,

Yes this is normal, well, at least i think it is normal coz it happened to me as well and yes it does go away. Initially it was horrible though, coz even the smell of some perfumes that were too sweet would make me nauseous. Some of the foods which I thought were delicious before my surgery became so nauseating to me after surgery when I smelled it being cooked. One of my vitamins needed to be changed to a different brand because whenever i opened the bag to take a pill out, the smell of it would instantly make me retch. Porridge as well made me feel to throw up. My doctor gave me maxalon for my nausea but it didnt help me. I took it diligently hoping it would, but it just didnt work for me. Thankfully it didnt last long. What helped me was ice. Whenever I felt nauseous I would go get a block of ice and just suck on that and I dont know what it is about the ice, either the cooling sensation or the little drips of water from the ice, but that helped me.  Hope this helps u! 
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 334 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 372 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 236 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 102 views
Recent Topics