Lactose Intolerance

ChaosInFL
on 9/10/11 8:45 am - Orlando, FL
I'm 3 months post-op and ever since surgery, I haven't been able to tolerate dairy.  Milk, yogurt, cottage cheese or cheese.  This concerns me because the only calcium I am getting is through my vitamins.  I miss my daily yogurt but am tired of trying because of the unpleasant side effects (either vomiting or frequent trips to the bathroom).

Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you handle it and how long did it last?

Thanks!

Eliza55
on 9/10/11 8:51 am - PA
I too, became 100% lactose intolerant overnight!

Some suggestions -
  Fat Free Lactaid Mil - this works for me. 
  Cabot Cheddar Cheese (advertised as lactose free and small amounts are ok for me)
  Lactaid Tablets (don't work so well for me)
  Lactose-Free Protein shakes

I'd also be interested in what others are doing.
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

ChaosInFL
on 9/10/11 9:24 am - Orlando, FL
I haven't tried the FF Lactaid Milk.  Thanks for the suggestions.  I've been using Soy Slender soy milk.  It works fine with protein powder but I miss ice cold milk in my cereal.

I agree, it will be interesting to see what others are doing.

Michele816
on 9/10/11 9:26 am
 I had the opposite happen. I was lactose intolerant before surgery.   I have not been lactose intolerant post surgery.  Nobody can figure it out, buy I am enjoyinhg being able to have cheese and not suffer the consequences.

hlacy
on 9/11/11 9:25 am - Chandler, AZ
I had the same thing happen. My lactose intolerance disappeared within a week of me starting the calcium citrate and B Complex a month pre-op. I have not been able to find any clinical support for this, but I think one of these vitamins did the trick. People on here have argued with me about this, but it did happen to me, and I suffered with Lactose intolerance for about ten years pre-op - the vitamins were the only thing I changed when it disappeared.
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

Michele816
on 9/11/11 9:42 pm
I am glad to hear someone else experienced the same thing.   I  was lactose intolerant for even longer.  I don't take B-complex, but I do, obviously, take calcium.  Maybe there is something to it.  They should research it.  It is a widespread problem, not just in the WLS community, that many would be eager for a remedy-my daughter included.

Rebecca H.
on 9/10/11 10:13 am
The GNC Total Lean Protein shake, strawberry, chocolate and vanilla are yummy and lactose free. My favorite and only protein shake I will drink.
FleurDeLis
on 9/10/11 10:25 am
Lactaid FF milk. As a bonus, because it is ultra pasteurized, it lasts a lot longer in the fridge compared to regular pasturized milk.
poet_kelly
on 9/10/11 10:25 am - OH
You can get plenty of calcium without eating dairy products, but as long as you are taking 1500-2000 mg calcium citrate daily, you should be fine regardless of what you are eating.  You can buy soy yogurt if you want to try it.  I've never tasted it but several people have told me they didn't like it much.

I'll throw this out because I was just reading about it a couple days ago.  Apparently some people that are lactose intolerant are actually able to tolerate raw milk, just not the factory produced stuff you buy in the grocery store.  Apparently the pasturization destroys enzymes that are naturally found in milk that help us digest it.  I'm not sure where you live and I guess it can be pretty hard to find raw milk in some places, but that might be something to try.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

ChaosInFL
on 9/10/11 10:45 am, edited 9/10/11 10:46 am - Orlando, FL
Interesting to read about raw milk. I wonder if that is something Whole Foods may have.  I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

I am great about my vitamins and am getting my calcium.  I just miss having a yogurt and cold milk.  I'll definitely have to try the FF Lactaid.

Thanks!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 362 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 195 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 116 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?