Shocker of a plot twist.

danigirl42
on 9/12/11 1:06 pm - PA
VSG on 01/02/13
Went in for my RNY this morning.  Got to the hospital at 5:30am and was getting prepped when suddenly no one came back to my room for quite some time.  I heard them discussing my Dr. in the hallway so I eavesdropped - heard the nurse say he wasn't coming in to do my surgery.  I was furious!  Then I heard them call another doctor up to the unit - I was relieved that someone was going to do my surgery anyway.

He came in, introduced himself and then proceeded to tell me they couldn't do my surgery because it turns out I'm pregnant.

Whaaaaaa??!!

He must have seen my shock because he then told me they did two tests on my urine which were both positive.    He offered to do a blood test to confirm.

I told him I have an IUD - and he said that there's always a slim chance.

So I'm still waiting for the blood test results but I took two tests when I got home and they both came up positive.

So now instead of surgery - I'm having a baby!  What a crazy stinking day.  Just thought I'd share my Soap Opera drama with all of you!

So sad that I won't be on the loser's bench for quite some time.  But glad to have the chance to be a mom to another little one!
(deactivated member)
on 9/12/11 1:11 pm
Ummmm.... errrr.... congratulations?  Wow, can't even begin to imagine how you're feeling... but without doubt, this is one day you will NEVER forget!

Congrats, truly... there's time for RNY later, enjoy the moment.

tori
YankeeRose
on 9/12/11 1:11 pm - Meadville, PA
Wow that is something! I am so sorry you did not get to have your surgery as planned but happy for you that you will be blessed with another little one. How wonderful is that? Congratulations on your unexpected news!

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

Becky D.
on 9/12/11 1:13 pm - CA
 Wow that sounds unexpected. 
I've had several surgeries and at 57 they still insist on doing a pregnancy test before every one. 
It causes lots of laughs in the surgery staging area. 
It's good you're happy to be a mom again. 
You can have your surgery later. 
Ladytazz
on 9/12/11 1:15 pm
 Congratulations.  This little one must really want to be here.  It's a good thing the test came up positive if you are pregnant.  It would have been bad if you didn't know you were pregnant and found out later.
Good luck to you and the little one.  Let us know.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

poet_kelly
on 9/12/11 1:20 pm - OH
Wow.  What a shock.  It is a really good thing they checked before doing surgery, huh?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Godgaveus2
on 9/12/11 1:32 pm - WI
WOW!!! What a turn of events!! Surprised they didn't find it in your preop testing. I guess this is God's way of saying you aren't ready for surgery yet. Congrats and keep us all posted.
Rebecca H.
on 9/12/11 1:59 pm
Wow we work so hard to get to the big surgery day. God definitely put you back on his plan and blessed you with a miracle. Wow. Congratulations!
Celia S.
on 9/12/11 3:40 pm - Grand Junction, CO
I think I would've rather had the day you had instead of finding out my surgery will be postponed because insurance is taking their sweet time recertifying me when I turn my paperwork in EARLY!

At least you had a bit of joy to balance out the let down of not having your surgery!

Congratulations! :)

Lisa R.
on 9/12/11 3:57 pm - CA
 OMG!  WOW!  I have never heard this story before and I read lots of posts....LOL

Well congrats on this new little one, they are always a blessing, regardless of the cir****tances in which they decide to arrive, right?  

I guess the bright side is you get to eat more for the next 9 months, not liquid diets for you for a while. Try to eat well and get in lots of fresh foods and keep exercising if you can.  After the baby you can work on the surgery again and this time you will be really ready.

I know lots of people who have babies AFTER RNY and I totally think that is great but I wonder why people have babies AFTER.  I would have tried to get that all done and out of the way before surgery cause once I am thin I don't want to get big again for any reason, you know?

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand