Chewing vs Swallowing

FunBrain
on 9/13/11 12:34 pm
 Ive been on the chewable vitamins since my surgery date, Dec. 2010.  Im out and only vitamins available in my town are plain jain swallowing ones.  Just wondering if our body will absorb the swallowing vitamins just as well? Seems like they would just flow on through before they had time to dissolve... but I just dont know.  Thanks in advance for clearing up my confusion. 
qnmimi
on 9/13/11 1:01 pm, edited 9/13/11 1:01 pm - Cottage Grove, MN
I was told by my docs at my 6 month check that chewables weren't necessary anymore, just a choice. You'd do ok with a good swallowable equivalent.

Lisa E.
on 9/13/11 2:34 pm - Fontana, CA
 I have been swallowing my vitamins since I was a month out when my surgeon cleared me to and my labs were all great so I don't think it matters one way or another..
Good Luck, Lisa     

poet_kelly
on 9/14/11 1:41 am - OH
You will absorb vitamins you swallow just fine.  They will flow through the pouch pretty quickly, which is fine since we don't absorb vitamins in the pouch, we absorb them in the small intestine.  They will not flow through the intestine too fast.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

AORVELO
on 9/14/11 9:59 am

Hi,
 I had my surgery 8-15-2011 I was given acigall and ompeprazole  but they are both capsules not tablets Can I swallow those with out opening the capsule because they are so bitter and hard for me to swallow in food? I also take a blood pressure pill atenol which is a tablet and I have been swallowing that whole for about a week and no problems. Any suggestions? will the plastic capsule be absorbed/dissolved . Also  when can you start eating tuna and canned chicken? I am going on vacation 10-15-2011 2 months out and was wondering what foods are good to start with at that time (we will be eating out alot)  Help!!! and Thank You for your time 

poet_kelly
on 9/14/11 10:04 am - OH
capsules aren't made of plastic.  At least, not usually.  I've never heard of any plastic capsules for medications or vitamins.  They are usually made of gelatin (like Jello) and dissolve easily in liquid.

the ASMBS says it's fine to swallow pills whole whenever you can tolerate them.

As far as when you can eat tuna and canned chicken, what does your doc's plan say?  Mine said to do full liquids for one week, pureed food for one week and then soft food (like tuna or canned chicken) for six weeks.  At two months out, I was on a regular diet and could eat just about anything.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

AORVELO
on 9/14/11 10:22 am

I dont  mean to seem stupid but what is ASMBS? As far as my doc's  plan it counter-dicts itself every other page , very frustrating ! Thank you for answering my questions it is so kind and very helpful to me

poet_kelly
on 9/14/11 10:24 am - OH
ASMBS is the American Society for  Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.  I just get too lazy to type all that out sometimes.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 319 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 239 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 300 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 72 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 72 views