CBC blood work - need to have blood drawn AGAIN!

melizabeth
on 9/13/11 8:01 am - CA
Disappointed because I just got a call from my doctor's office saying that they got my lab results that I had done this morning (fasting) and I need to fast again tonight and go in tomorrow to have my blood drawn again.  They blamed it on the lab running the CBC's wrong.  I hope they're telling me the truth and there's no issue with my blood work that will postpone my surgery for next Tuesday.  Has this happened to you?

Melizabeth

RYN 9/20/11--HW 211--CW120--Extended TT 3/7/13   

GOAL Weight 120 met 18 months post op

poet_kelly
on 9/13/11 8:08 am - OH
Once I had an issue where the doctor mistakenly ordered the wrong test and I didn't check the order before having the blood drawn and didn't realize the  mistake until I got the results.  Then I had to call the doc to get an order for the right test and get blood redrawn.

There's no reason to think they aren't telling  you the truth.  If you think your doc or his staff would lie to you about the results of your blood work, though, or lie to you about the reason you need to get more blood drawn, then I think you need to find a new doc that you trust a little.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

melizabeth
on 9/13/11 8:38 am, edited 9/13/11 8:39 am - CA
Kelly,  I'm just imagining things and making up stories in my head and stressing out a bit.  I have no reason to actually think they'd lie to me.  I have Kaiser and the lab request/order is done over the computer so I never see the order.  I'm not feeling ill or anything so I'm sure it's just an error of some kind.  Whew! I guess I'm a little on edge.  If I had a chill pill I think I'd take one today.  Got a lot going on besides surgery next Tuesday.  Escrow closes on our house while I'm in the hospital and my husband is going to have to try and move us. etc.  I know he's a big boy and can handle it but I feel guilty for not helping him.  He supports me and doesn't want me to reschedule the surgery (which I appreciate).  Pretty sneaky having surgery to get out of helping move, huh?
Eliza55
on 9/13/11 9:01 am - PA
Elizabeth
It sounds like you have a crazy time, and everyone feels a bit uneasy just before surgery.  The combination must be very hard for you.  I would take your doctor's request at face value, and get the blood redrawn.
Good luck on Tuesday.
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/13/11 10:38 am - OH
I have had significant lab problems twice.  Once, the lab said my protime/INR was completely normal (as if I was not taking any blood thinner) even though I was taking a high dose of blood thinner and my home testing machine said it was in the proper therapeutic range.  When we repeated the test the next day, the lab;s results matrched the ones of my home machine... so they eitehr completely messed up the test or mixed up my results with someone else's.

The second incident was much more strressful.  After I was raped a few years ago, I had an HIV test done rigth after the attack and again 6 months later.  The OB/GYN's office called me after the 6-month  and I needed to come in and have blood drawn again.  That's ALL the nurse would say, and of course then I was terrified that the test had come back positive and that they just didn't want to tell me until they double checked it.  It took a week to get the results from the second test and it was horribly stressful.  Once it FINALLY came back negative, I was informed that there was a problem with "labeling" on the first sample, so they could not be sure whether the blood they tested was mine or someone else's.

Just try to relax.  Even if they DO find something, you still have time to potentially address the problem if it might interfere with surgery. 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

melizabeth
on 9/13/11 10:48 am - CA
Lora,
Your are such an inspiration.  Your strength and perseverance is admirable. 
Thank you for the chill pill.

Melizabeth

RYN 9/20/11--HW 211--CW120--Extended TT 3/7/13   

GOAL Weight 120 met 18 months post op

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 429 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 356 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 356 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?