Average Weight Loss After Surgery???

(deactivated member)
on 9/14/11 9:40 pm
 What is the average weight loss (by week) after surgery?
Nan2008
on 9/14/11 9:51 pm - Midland, MI
That definitely varies person by person, and week by week.  I had surgery and so have all three of my kids.  We all lost ad different speeds.  On average, I would lose 8-15 lbs each month pretty consistantly for the first year, BUT, in any given month, I could lose for two weeks, then not lose for two weeks, or, I could lose some each weeks in a different month. 

On average, my surgeon said we would lose 3-5 pounds per week and that is pretty much what was the case for myself and all three of my kids.

Nan

Nan

HW 300
/ SW 280 / CW 138 /
GW 140
Hit Goal 4/2/2010

(deactivated member)
on 9/14/11 10:02 pm
 Thanks Nan,

I was not sure. There is a girl that I like to watch on YouTube who listed her first month's weight loss as 40 lbs. I have lost about 1/2 of that in 3 weeks... but I was trying to figure out if that is normal. She might have been larger than me to begin with.... one never knows. 

I love that you and you children all had the surgery. My Mom had the band in May and I had my gastric bypass Aug 29th. We are like a mini support group for each other. 

Have a great Thursday! 
ladybugnessa
on 9/15/11 4:43 am - Owings Mills, MD
I lost 16 pounds the first month after surgery
then about 11 pounds
then about 10 pounds

finally it settles down to an average of 5-7 pounds per month...
Nessa
Ticker is from Day of Surgery.. weight goal is personal preference as I've MET my doctor's goal

--

HG/SW/CW/GW
286/253/150/151

laura_vermont
on 9/14/11 10:57 pm
I don't think you can really look at it in terms of a specific measurement of weight, for example, 100lbs.  You have to think in terms of "% of excess weight".  Some folks have 100lbs to lose, some 200, etc. 

Here's an exerpt and link to an article I found with a quick web search -- I'm sure that there is much better info out there:

Results

Weight loss after gastric bypass surgery averages 60 to 70 percent of the patient's excess weight by the end of the first year, reports the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons. After 10 to 14 years, according to Highland Hospital, some patients have kept off 50 to 60 percent of their excess weight. About 75 percent of patients also experience control over comorbidities such as sleep apnea, high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes, notes the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endocsopic Surgeons.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/291702-weight-loss-after-g astric-bypass/#ixzz1Y1chWaiB

Also, if you haven't seen OH's post-op weight loss planner, here's a link -- it was one of my favorites while I was in the losing phase:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/information/post+op +planner.php

High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

Dave Chambers
on 9/14/11 11:58 pm - Mira Loma, CA
There are really no "averages" to any wt loss surgery. There are too many variables, as each person is not identical.  Starting BMI's, following protocol or NOT, hydration, how much exercise, food choices, portion control, loose skin or not, etc.  Best advice is to follow the protocol recommended by your surgeon and attend support meetings.  There are some guys in my support groups who lost all of their wt in 6-7 months post op, yet it took me 24 months.  Some post ops don't like to exercise at all, yet others go to the gym and/or do some form of aerobic exercise daily.  Women generally tend to lose wt at a slower rate than men.  Dave

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/11 12:11 am - Boston, MA
 every single person is different but here are my stats
2 week pre op diet -25
1 month -22
2 month -15
3 month -12
4 month -11
5 month -11
6 month -10

If you weigh 300 or more you will typically lose a little faster than "lightweights" but there is no set weight loss schedule.  Good luck to you!
WildChunk
on 9/15/11 2:09 am
i agree, the more you weigh when you start the quicker it comes off but everybody is different.  i was 431lbs on August 5, 2011 and have already lost 68lbs, however for the first time yesterday i didnt loose anything (yikes).
(deactivated member)
on 9/15/11 2:36 am - TX
Everyone is different. I started out at 255.2 and my months went like this:

Month 1 - 27

Month 2 - 15

Month 3 - 13

Month 4 - 10

Month 5 - 8

Month 6 - 2....at a stall right now

I have about 22-27 more pounds to go, not sure what I want my goal weight to be.

You'll get there. It just might not be exactly the path you think it should be.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 457 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views