Reactive Hypoglycemia and large weight gain

squirlyboo
on 9/15/11 11:25 am - GA
argg after everything i have been thru and all the complications i lost 125 lbs and i have gained back 20lbs.. I'm only 2 yrs Post OP.. i have developed really bad Reactive Hypoglycemia my endocrinologist said to eat candy and drink coke , it drop so low and so fast i have to keep glucagon shots with me now... i also have been instructed to eat every 3 hrs , and even then it drops quickly an di end up having to eat 1 hr later or shovel glucose in then eat again to level out the insulin... OMG its a nightmare .. i don't really froth or dump anymore .. i am at my wits end and i dont live in the same state as my BAri surgeon anymore.. i really need some good advice and if anyone is or has been thru this what have you found that helps you... also a support group in my area would be lovely but there isn't one close..
thanks in advance
Amanda

poet_kelly
on 9/15/11 11:38 am - OH
Your endocrinologist told you to eat candy and drink Coke?  Are you doing that?  That could be why you gained 20 pounds, you think?

I have RH too, although it sounds like mine is not nearly as bad as yours.  Mine is most often an issue for me if I eat something with too much sugar or eat too many carbs without much protein.  If I eat a meal or snack high in protein and low in carbs, it's usually OK.  I do eat every three hours, not only for the RH but also because that's how much I need to eat in order to get enough calories and protein in.

Does your sugar drop an hour after eating regardless of what you eat?  Or does that only happen when you eat certain things?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

squirlyboo
on 9/15/11 11:51 am - GA
oh yes i have no doubt that is why.. is maddening , i told her that i grab a piece of fruit and some peanut butter or juice. and she said because its SO bad that that was the worst thing to do.. she said straight sugar.. i don't do the coke tho bleghhh .. i do have lollipops in every room of the house and in all my bags... it drops to the 20s very quickly ..  exp ... i ate a cheese stick , some whole wheat cracker squares and 3 thin slices of deli chicken, and my sugar dropped to 50 in about 45 min . started shaking nauseous loss of concentration i could barely hold the meter to test . ate 3 lollipops sugar came up rapidly , then 15 min late have to eat a small sandwich or protein food WITH a fiber /grain..  then again in about 2 hrs it drops agon and the process starts over again... i have passed out down a concrete flight of stairs , etc.. it hits fast and hard and no warning... she said that because it is so extreme that i could go into a coma very easliy and rapidly if i don't keep my sugars up....  :( i am constantly feeling shaky and awful.. the moire i move around  the faster it drops.. if i get hot or scared it drops even faster... they have done extensive testing and i dont have the nesidioblastosis  tho...
manda

Sharyn S.
on 9/15/11 11:47 am - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
Coke and candy are only going to cause extreme high and low blood sugars.  And any endocrinologist that is telling you to do that is an idiot.

You need to be eating every 3 hours and your very SMALL meals need to consist of a dense protein, complex carbohydrate, and a healthy fat.  This combination will prevent the exteme highs and lows.

Signed,
A Fellow RHer.

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/15/11 11:52 am - OH
Everything Sharyn said...!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

squirlyboo
on 9/15/11 12:03 pm - GA
if i dont eat at all i acctualy feel better for much longer.. they said there is a hormone i could take as a last resort becasue of its side effects .. i am so tired of feeling so bad and being scared to do anything... and my family is scared to leave me alone for long due to how fast it falls .. what do they have you doing for yours ? are you on any meds?  do you use protein sups, i have quite a bit of those as well... and what do you find are your worst Blood sugar drop triggers?
thanks again guys
manda 

brnis1
on 9/15/11 1:18 pm
 I have it too. I keep nuts nearby, some in my purse, car etc. Also during the night since I get up at least once I eat a slice of cheese. Has been helping quite a bit. As for the candy, no way, I have some Glucose tabs I purchase at WalMart for 1.24 for ten. When I feel it coming on I break one in half and then eat both halves. My endocronologist says I have to meet with a nutrionist to learn about simple and complex carbs. I have had such problems I don't hardly eat food so it's been difficult to find things I can eat without having issues. good luck, hope this helps.
squirlyboo
on 9/15/11 2:22 pm - GA
thanks everybody, i do need to find a nutritionist here  i have had t find all new doc with our move. it seems like EVERYthing causes a drop , even a cheese stick, what foods have you found work best for you ?
thanks
amanda

babybooo828
on 9/15/11 2:46 pm
Check out this site: http://www.reactivehypoglycemia.info/

This site is not by someone who has had RNY. She's actually had no surgery. She has other medical issues to cause her to have RH. Her site it very informative and helpful. Just remember that sugar is no good. 

seattledeb
on 9/15/11 6:29 pm
Your endocrinologist is scary.
I have RH. It's controlled by small protein centered meals every 3-4 hours. The worst thing I could do would be to drink coke or eat candy..I would just stay on the up and down glucose rollercoaster.
Deb T>