depression and pre-surgical psych eval

danvet
on 9/18/11 8:39 am
 I'm just wondering if anyone can give me some insight.  I'm in the beginning of this whole process. I've done everything except the psych eval and nutritional consult.  My concern is that I am taking Celexa which I starteda couple of years ago due to horrible job stress.  Well, back in November 2010 I left that job and have a wonderful job I enjoy.  I don't feel depressed but I am on the Celexa.  I have made an appointment with my PCP to find out if now is a good time to consider weaning off the medication. 

I'm terrified that this will result in failure to pass psych assessment!!  I feel sane, not really depressed, I'm in a good place in my life at work and at home.  I have an awesome support system including my spouse and children, and other family members who have had the sleeve, band, and RNY.  But after reading the boards I worry that maybe I will need it!!  Is depression that prevelant post-operative?  I really do get this is a major life change, huge, but I have no way of knowing if it will affect me that way.  

Please share your thoughts.  I hate to mess with something that's working well for nothing but I really don't want to continue an antidepressant if I don't need to.  I hope everyone can kind of understand what I mean.

Thanks,

Danette
hlacy
on 9/18/11 9:07 am, edited 9/18/11 9:08 am - Chandler, AZ
Hi Danvet,

I am one month post-op. I, took, am on Celexa and have been for several years due to job stress as well. At my psych eval, I was open about it with my psych, and it was no issue at all. I think that they are looking for people that can handle the life changes this surgery brings, which can be tough, and not people that have depression or anxiety in general necessarily. We discussed at length the importance and my understanding the changes that this surgery will be to my life, and that I decided it's time to focus on my health. 

Personally, I would not recommend going off the Celexa at this point if it's working well for you, which it sounds like it is. It's not necessarily going to disqualify you from surgery, and I don't think it's good to dose off psych meds before a major change like this. Still being on the Celexa has helped me. I got it everyday in the hospital, so they know it's important. Do I have good and bad days? Absolutely. But, with a major life change like RNY, it's normal and expected. I say just be honest in your psych eval - I was, and it came out fine!

Good luck!
-Heather
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

Eliza55
on 9/18/11 9:09 am - PA
Don't worry about this.  I was under severe job stress a few years ago, which happened to be when there was a lot of unrelated family stress.  So I was on a depressant (and still am).  There are lots of ups and downs with this surgery - you may consider staying on the antidepressant until you're a while out, and have gotten used to the rollercoaster.
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

Bama_Wifey
on 9/18/11 9:27 am - AL
I am waiting on a stress test and for the cardiologist to sign off for me to have surgery.  I have already met with the nutritionist, personal trainer, and the mental health person.  I am on prozac and have been for YEARS.  I suffer from PMDD and thats why I take it.  I didnt have any problems with passing the evaluation.  Dont stress over this.  There are probably more people on antidepressants out there than there are people OFF antidepressants!  Dont fret over it.  It will be fine!  And good luck!
asiaisacontinent
on 9/18/11 9:51 am - MI
I take Paxil and I passed my psych eval. They just want to make sure you're going to be able to handle changing your diet. That's really what the psych eval is about. I wouldn't stop taking it if it's working!
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board 

nfarris79
on 9/18/11 9:55 am - Germantown, MD
 As a therapist, I would want people using every possible coping skill (including medication) that they can avail themselves of  in order to have a smooth-as-possible journey. The eval is going to be making sure you have a good support system & realistic expectations as well as ruling out eating disorders. Be honest, take a deep breath, and good luck!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

poet_kelly
on 9/18/11 10:03 am - OH
Being depressed does not mean you are not sane.

Being on an antidepressant will not cause you to fail the psych eval.  They want to see that your condition is stable, that you are compliant with your medication, that you have reasonable expectations for what WLS will and will not do for you, and that you fully understand the commitment you'll be making if you have WLS.  Lots and lots of people that take antidepressants have WLS.

I have been treated for depression, PTSD and DID for years and years.  Was on several meds at the time of surgery.  I had my psychiatrist, the one that had been treating me for about four years, do my psych eval.

I would be hesitant to come off the Celexa right before having major surgery that can be tough to adjust to.  I'm not saying you should not come off it, but it may not be the best time.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

TrueNorthFriend
on 9/18/11 10:11 am - Canada
 I can't speak about Celexa, but I have experienced weaning off 3 different anti-depressants - and in all cases it was quite a ride in itself!  I can't imagine going off a major med at the same time as surgery.  The anti depressants affect brain chemistry - rapid weight loss also change brain chemistry (major hormonal changes) - at least that is my understanding.  

I can't imagine the fact you are taking an anti-depressant would have a negative impact on your psych eval.  So far, it seems like everyone who has responded agrees with that.

WLS does not cure depression.  I've heard people say it has cleared up all kinds of conditions - but very few people say they no longer get depressed, or they no longer have episodes of depression.

Good luck!

True North Friend.
Susan_U
on 9/18/11 10:15 am - Ontario, CA
Two years ago I was diagnosed with Bipolar II (which is the milder form of the illness) and have been on medication for it ever since. I had no trouble passing the psych eval. Frankly, the questionnaire they had me fill out before talking to the therapist was more concerned with having a personality that leans toward addiction of one type or another. A whole page was devoted to alcohol. Smoking and eating disorders took up a lot of space, too.

Moods & such also came up in the questionnaire. Just be honest. I told the therapist frankly that I was able to answer "no" to a lot of those questions because of the medications I am on.

I don't think you need to worry on that score.
PTM
on 9/18/11 10:28 am
I've been taking an anti-depressant for the past 16 years, and it did not stand in the way of my psych assessment at all. For me - and I dare say most people - depression is a clinical illness being treated by medication. It does not mean you are crazy or mentally ill.

I really don't think you need to be concerned.
Margaret   HW: 342    SW: 320    CW:  228    GW:  175    3          
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 431 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 365 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 447 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?