Actigall and hairloss

Paula F.
on 9/20/11 11:55 am - Rochester Hills , MI
Hi everyone, I have seen many posts regarding hair loss after surgery and causes ranging from iron/vitamin deficiencies, to post anesthesia effects.  Well, my doc put me on Actigall last week to help prevent gallstones from forming.  Tonight I finally got around to reading the sheet that comes with you RX and wouldn't you know that hairloss is listed under the side effects?  In the time I have been visiting this site, I have never seen that info posted, so I thought I would share it.  Maybe there's nothing we can do and just ride it out.  With the dollars going out for everything required, I sure hate to buy Biotin too if it isn't going to make a difference.  What have you experienced people farther out experienced?  Thanks for any feedback.
poet_kelly
on 9/20/11 12:03 pm - OH
I never knew that was  side effect.  Thanks for the info.

My doc did not prescribe Actigall  and I'd never heard of it back then so I did not ask for it..  And I ended up with gall stones.  And, although I did not take Actigall, I did lose a lot of hair.  Some of the hair loss that is common after RNY is due to telogen effluvium, which is a result of the general anesthesia.  But getting in little protien in the beginning also contributes to the hair loss.  And apparently Actigall can also add to the problem.

Personally, I would take the Actigall and live with the hair loss.  I was pretty unhappy when my hair was falling out, but I'd rather live with that then get gall stones.

Biotin might help but might not.  It seems like many people say they think it helps with regrowth but doesn't prevent hair loss in the first place.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Lisa R.
on 9/20/11 1:05 pm - CA
 Biotin does not help with hair loss, AT ALL!  Not a bit.  I take it still cause I can get it cheap, like $3 for a 90 pill bottle.  It might help with regrowth, maybe don't know yet.

I am losing hair like a shedding dog in the middle of summer, it sucks!  I can't imagine it will last much longer or else I will be bald, and that will really suck

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/20/11 1:36 pm - OH
I did not take Actigall, so don;t know anythign about that.

I started taking biotin 2 months before surgery (I figured that even though it probably would not help, it couldn't hurt).  I still lost half my hair and, honestly, I did not notice that the biotin made my hair grow back any faster.  My hair has always grown slowly and taking the biotin did not change that.  What it DID do, however, was increase the amount of facial hair (mustache area and on my cheeks below my cheekbones), so if you decide to take it, keep an eye out for that because once that facial hair grows, it is permanent!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

MissTootsie
on 9/21/11 4:17 am - MA
I am so glad to see posts regarding hair loss, no matter how many times it gets posted!

I am about 4 months out and I am really concerned about the continued hair loss I'm having!  I can really see how thin it's gettng, and I had a full, thick head of hair!  I can see my scalp more and more. 

I do have trouble getting in enough protein, but have been very good at getting in vitamiins and the calcium citrate daily. 

I did a search for Rogaine just to see what people said about it; only a few said it worked, but most of the posts said it's not worth it.  I guess I'm just hoping to see some sort of miracle cure!  But it's really comforting to know it will stop.

Thank you all for your help on this issue!
"You must do the things you think you cannot do."  Eleanor Roosevelt