Popcorn - Is it Bad?

ChaosInFL
on 9/19/11 7:34 am - Orlando, FL
I'm 3 months  post-op and have been on a popcorn kick this week.  For the past 3 weeks I've had a grouchy pouch and haven't been eating too much (approx 800 cals/65 grams protein) which I think has resulted in a weight loss stall.  All of a sudden my stomach has returned to normal which means my appetite is back and I'm back  to having to watch my food intake (staying in the 1000 cals/85-100 grams protein).

Lately I have been craving popcorn.  I'm eating the 94% fat free popcorn (regular sized bag). I'm just wondering if this is something I should stay away from while in my maximum weight loss time frame.

Thanks for your help.

Pholaris
on 9/19/11 7:38 am
I am more than a year out, and personally I can't tolerate it. It goes down horribly. That said, and considering that you are so early out, I would check with your Surgeon to see when they allow for that on your food stages plan. If they don't have a stags type plan and you are allowed to eat anything as tolerated, then I would have a tiny amount at home, and see how it goes down.
Pregnancy%20ticker
mrslatch
on 9/19/11 8:33 am - Fort Campbell, KY
I have no issues with popcorn, and crave it on occasion, only issue is the carbs. That is what I'd watch to maximize your loss.
Morgan  My Blog
Proud Army Wife! 

ladybugnessa
on 9/19/11 8:40 am - Owings Mills, MD
some weeks I have it every day
some times i go weeks without it.

I usually make a single serving bag of it.

i do eat movie popcorn now and then too.
Nessa
Ticker is from Day of Surgery.. weight goal is personal preference as I've MET my doctor's goal

--

HG/SW/CW/GW
286/253/150/151

mrslatch
on 9/19/11 8:49 am - Fort Campbell, KY
Yum. Movie popcorn. Since having my daughter and not being able to go to the movies, I've seriously considered just going in and buying a bag of popcorn to bring home...lol
Morgan  My Blog
Proud Army Wife! 

Jeanne190
on 9/19/11 10:54 am
Wow ladybugnessa!  You look GREAT!  Love your profile pic! 

Popcorn is a double edged sword for me!  Sometimes I can't get enough of it!  In my mind it's sort of like a slider food....I mean how else could you eat an entire regular sized bag?  It is YUMMY though and there are times I allow myself to have it! 
Sometimes even to live is an act of courage.  ~Lucius Annaeus Seneca, Letters to Lucilius

boneswag
on 9/19/11 8:48 am
If your able to eat an entire bag of popcorn I would imaging your drinking with it too.  I would caution you.  At about 6 months out I would have a cup or two, but avoided it because of the carbs in it.  Now that I am at my goal weight I have to really watch it because it is one of my favorites and I do not want to get stuck repeating old habits. 
My 2 cents.

losing-jennifer
on 9/19/11 9:37 am
No problems with popcorn at all. Amazing how much I can eat of it too. I guess it shrivels down to nothing anyway.
Jen
HW 254  SW 242  CW 148
**Down 106 pounds from highest weight!**

Mrs_O
on 9/19/11 9:51 am - TX
I can eat it with no problems at all and occassionally have a 100 calorie bag.  I figure it's better than eating chips or something worse.  It helps when you have the munchies.  While I don't think you should eat it everyday I do think it's okay in moderation.  This is a life style change and not a diet. 

ChaosInFL
on 9/19/11 10:25 am - Orlando, FL
Thank you everyone for your comments.  As many of you  have mentioned, popcorn does have carbs.  I noticed my weightloss slowed down once I started eating carb heavy items like protein bars, frozen dinners and popcorn.  So until I get to my goal weith, I'm sticking with the basics.  Protein and vegetables for this girl.

Thanks again!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 362 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 195 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 116 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?