Protein Bars!

CHYNA1975
on 9/21/11 7:58 am - Leonardtown, MD
I'm 2 months out today and am curious to know if it's to early to try protein bars. I'm on regular diet I've called my nut with no response any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Be content with what you have, for God has said, "Never
     will I leave you; never will I forsake you."  So say with
     confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid."

- Hebrews 13:5,6
   SURGERY DATE 7/21/11

poet_kelly
on 9/21/11 8:21 am - OH
I don't see why not as long as they fit into your plan in terms of calories/carbs/sugar.  Some bars are really high in calories and very high in sugar.  I don't really count carbs but I always pick bars that have no more than 200 calories and 12 grams of sugar or less.  That may be more sugar than you would want at just two months out, though.

Of course, you also want to consider the size of the bar.  Some bars are pretty big and I bet at just two months out you'd only eat half at a time.  So take that into account when considering the calories and sugar.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

CHYNA1975
on 9/21/11 8:28 am - Leonardtown, MD
Thank you for the response! which bars do you use and where do you get them?

Be content with what you have, for God has said, "Never
     will I leave you; never will I forsake you."  So say with
     confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid."

- Hebrews 13:5,6
   SURGERY DATE 7/21/11

poet_kelly
on 9/21/11 8:33 am - OH
I like some of the Atkins bars.  You gotta read the labels though because some of theirs have a lot more protein than others.  The chocolate chip granola ones are really yummy and are low in sugar.

My favorite brand is Luna, but they have more sugar (about 12 grams) and less protein (12 grams or a little less in most of them) then I like.  But they are yummy.

If you  have a Vitamin Shoppe near you, they have tons of brands that they sell individually so you can buy a bunch to try.  But when you figure out what you like, you can probably buy them other places for less.

I get a lot of mine at Meijer which is cheap.

Just read the labels carefully when you buy to make sure you aren't getting something with more calories or sugar than you want.  People usually assume something called a protein bar would be healthy and some are, but some aren't.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

nana60
on 9/21/11 9:36 am - CA
 I got a real good one at Trader Joes called "Pure Protein" It has 32g of proteinand only 4g of sugar. It taste really good and 200 calories. That is less than a protein drink but lots of protein. I keep them in my purse if I'm stuck somewhere.
gabbyabby
on 9/21/11 10:48 am
 I am 4 weeks out and I use protein bars.  Of course it takes me for ever to eat one and I can only eat about 1/2 of one in one sitting.  I also like the Pure Protein bars, I found them at target. 

YankeeRose
on 9/21/11 12:14 pm - Meadville, PA
I like the chocolate and peanut butter Pure Protein bars and I buy them at Walmart. You can get a box of 6 for $5. It has 20 g of protein in 1 bar.

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

(deactivated member)
on 9/21/11 12:42 pm - FL
If you are a Sams Club member, they have them over in their pharmacy area.  The Pure Protein bars were something like $14 for 18 bars (equivalent of 3 boxes).  Also, if you can find the Oh Yeah Grab-n-Go bars (not the full size bars) they taste pretty good.  But they're harder to find.  GNC carries the brand, but only the larger bars which aren't as good since they have like 350-400 calories and a ton of carbs.  The smaller ones are 18g protein and about 190 calories and net 8-10 carbs.
Rebecca B.
on 9/21/11 4:39 pm - Troy, MO
I am 4+ years out and am and always will be addicted to the Pure Protein bars. I have used them since very shortly after my surgery, I adore the Smores flavor, and they also sell a protein drink you can use later on that is sold at GNC and Trader Joes. Enjoy!

Rebecca

321/304/204/160
Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal
dasie
on 9/21/11 9:41 pm
I would eat them slowly.  When I first started eating protein bars post WLS, they hit my pouch really hard.  I could only eat a bite or two at a time.  I don't know what it was, but some were worse than others.  Some even made my pouch hurt.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 347 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 233 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 340 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 270 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 108 views
Recent Topics