"Bounce back" after 1 year?

Gail S.
on 9/28/11 10:29 pm - New York, NY
I went to see my WLS surgeon for my 1 year check-up and he said, "Great job. Now be prepared to gain about 20 pounds this year. It happens to a lot of people." I'm determined to not be one of those people! Did anyone else experience bounce back? or What did you do to avoid it?

2xaround
on 9/28/11 10:32 pm - Gastonia , NC
Hi.. I am 19months out and still losing.... continue to do what's right and you won't...
Mgilliam
on 9/28/11 10:33 pm - OH
I just wanted to tell you CONGRATS on your success and keep it up .. sure hope that will be me sooner than later ;0)  
Alice P.
on 9/28/11 10:56 pm
I'm am 19 months out and was told the same thing by my surgeon at my 1 yr and 18 month apts. I have still lost but think I have hit my maintenance mark being that I am at a BMI of 22 and the scale doesn't really appear to be moving. I am just continuing to do what I have been doing--eating protein forward, exercising, getting my water in. There may be some bounce back to come but I will know that it is NOT because I let carbs creep back in or stopped exercising. If it starts to happen I will have to decide if I am ok with it or if I need to eat less or exercise more at that point.
 HW 278 SW 259 GW 170 CW 142 Ht 5ft 6

(deactivated member)
on 9/28/11 11:01 pm
Hello Gail. You will do great because of your mindset to be proactive and your determination for success.  I am 26 months out and I haven't gained.  Yes, it is a balancing act for me.  If I don't eat enough I lose (and I don't want to lose more weight).  And if I eat too much (which is really difficult for me to do) I will gain a couple of pounds.  I have remained within a four pound range of 165 for over a year now.

Keep drinking protein.  I still take very small meals.  And of course I take all of my supplements. 

Best,

Chris
poet_kelly
on 9/29/11 12:54 am - OH
Huh?  I'm sure some people do gain 20 pounds the second year, but I don't believe it's so common you should just expect it.  Lots of people aren't even done losing after one year.  Not only did I not gain 20 pounds the second year, but I kept losing weight until about 18 months out, when I made a real effect to stop losing.

I have gained eight pounds back since my lowest weight, but I'm still ten pounds below my goal weight.  I think the only reason I gained those eight pounds back was because of some medication I was taking that often causes weight gain.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

gbsinsatx
on 9/29/11 1:31 am - San Antonio, TX
 Although some may disagree, I do not believe in the bounce back weight theory nor does my bariatric doctor. Everytime I read one of the posts from someone claiming bounce back, further down in their post they concede they strayed from the rules. I have never strayed from the rules or cheated-it is that important to me!!! I never feel deprived or that I am missing something. I enjoy the foods I eat and the way I feel since RNY because it is the tool that helped me get my life back. Your journey after RNY is what you make it. I went into this mentally/emotionally prepared and determined to change my lifestyle forever. 

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

poet_kelly
on 9/29/11 2:40 am - OH
Well, now you've read one from someone that has stayed on plan and still gained eight pounds back.  Side effect of nortriptyline.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

gbsinsatx
on 9/29/11 9:52 am - San Antonio, TX
I understand that medication/medical treatment can cause weight gain. I just have a problem with the concept of bounce back in general. When people expect that after they lose weight with RNY that somehow they will gain 20 pounds back mysteriously.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

poet_kelly
on 9/29/11 10:03 am - OH
Yeah, there was nothing mysterious about my eight pounds.  Start new med, three or four weeks later, weight eight pounds more. 

Most Active
Recent Topics