Need help with anti-inflammatory..

ChrissyD70
on 10/11/11 3:09 am - O'Fallon, MO
 Now that NSAIDS are off the list.. Are there any prescription or over the counter anti-inflammatorys that work?

I have wicked pain in hip joint.  Didnt have it when I was 300+ lbs for decades.. Ortho doc took X-rays, no arthritis, waiting on approval for MRI after driving 45 minutes one way to get there only to have to come back home.  Argh... 

Ortho doc doesnt want to do cortisone or steroid shot, just narcotics, which I hate..

Thought I would ask if anyone knew of a good anti-imflammatory before I push for a shot.

Thanks!

I am very good at having opinions and always willing to share :)  Not shy at all!
Check out my site.. www.showmetheskinny.weebly.com

Dan OBrien
on 10/11/11 3:16 am - FL
NSAIDS off the list?  My surgeon told me it was ok to take Alleve or Advil. 
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.                                                                         HW: 396 GW:230

ChrissyD70
on 10/11/11 3:18 am - O'Fallon, MO
 Not after RNY... it can damage the pouch.  This is what I have found so far.. I think I originally found it on here.  Have it on my website..

Drugs that are considered safe:  (Almost sounds like an oxymoron!!)

Benadryl
Colace
Dimetap
Dulcolax Suppositories
Fleet Enema
Gax-X
Milk of Magnesia
Peri-colace
Phazyme
Robitussin
Safetussin
Triaminics (All)
Tylenol (including Extra strength and cold products)

Drugs that can damage the pouch:

ALL 'NSAIDS'

Advil                                 Clinorial                             Nalfon
Aleve                                Darvon Compounds            Naprosyn
Amigesic                            Disalcid                              Nayer
Anacin                               Dolobid                              Orudis
Anaprox                             Erythromycin                      Pamprin-IB
Ansaid                               Equagesic                           Percodan
Anthra-G                            Feldene                             Ponstel
Ascriptin                             Fiorinal                              Rexolate
Aspirin                               Ibuprofen                           Tandearil
Asproject                           Indocin                               Tetracycline
Azolid                                Ketoprofen                          Tolecin
Bextra                               Lodine                                 Uracel
Bufferin                             Meciomen                            Voltaren
Butazolidin                         Midol                                  Vioxxx
Celebrex                            Motrin
I am very good at having opinions and always willing to share :)  Not shy at all!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/11/11 10:43 am - OH
No NSAIDS after RNY unless absolutely necessary and with some kind of PPI.  They can cause ulcers not only in your pouch, but -- much more problematically -- in your remnant stomach, whihc is "blind" after RNY.  The only way to access your stomach is via surgery into not only your belly but cutting into the stomach as well.

Your surgeon never told you no NSAIDs was part of the RNY "deal"?!?!?

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

emt_amy
on 10/11/11 3:20 am - MN
Oof, cortisone shot will hurt. I had one in my wrist. I would call the surgeon and explain what's going on and ask what he recommends.

ChrissyD70
on 10/11/11 3:23 am - O'Fallon, MO
 I am trying to avoid EVER having to call my surgeon again... ever.. no love lost there!

I had cortisone shot in my thumb after I had my son.. DeQuervains tenosinovitis.. it hurt for a day, but then it was like the pain was never there again... Hoping it will do the same thing with my hip.  Rheumotologist gave me a shot there 2 years ago and it wore off about 6 months ago.  Ortho doc was easier to get into but now its turning into a hassle.

Plus I have inflammation in a few other areas, hoping there is something that will fix all.  My SED rate is just off the charts and has been for a while.. With all the other issues I have going on, I figured this one would be an easy fix... 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/11/11 10:51 am - OH
You can actually get a general steriod shot in the "hip" rather than into a specific area.  I just had one last week because my kneeds were killing me after SYnvisc injections but ot was too early to be able to do cortisone in the knees.  It took about 2 days, but it really helped (and didn;t hurt like the knee injections).  It lasts 3-4 weeks.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 10/11/11 3:20 am - OH
Nothing over the counter than I know of.  Your doc could prescribe oral steroids.  Why doesn't he want to do an injection?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

ChrissyD70
on 10/11/11 3:24 am - O'Fallon, MO
 Because it never goes easily for me. and I cant do prednisone becuase it makes me ravenously hungry all the time..

cyberdonna
on 10/11/11 3:31 am, edited 10/11/11 3:32 am - Los Angeles, CA

You can take Tylenol. I do. You definitely cannot take Advil, aspirin or any medication known to irritate the stomach.

I stopped being able to take Advil long before surgery because it started giving me gastritis every time I took it, despite always taking it with food. I'm a migraine sufferer so I need to take something for a migraine every once in a while, and non-prescription Tylenol is the only choice.

Definitely check with your doctor about taking Tylenol or anything else since there could be other reasons you can't take it.