I need your advice.....

Peppermint-Pattie2
on 10/12/11 4:08 am - San Marcos, CA
I am  a lapband patient and they will be taking it out very soon due to 3 hiatal hernias.  My doc wants to do bypass.  I'm scared of the dumping.  That is why I chose lapband to begin with.  Please help me make a decision with all your experiences.

thanks....

jkay05
on 10/12/11 4:21 am
I will have my surg on Halloween. But dumping is why I chose the rny. It sounds like pure hell to put it bluntly. And in my opinion that is a great thing to keep me from the habits that got me this way in the first place. For those that complain after they dump and say well I didnt thing a bite of a donut would do it to me..well HELLO..dont have surgery and keep eating all the crap you want. I ate it and feel like ****..wah wah. Um yeahhh..so dont. I know I will miss food. But replace it with not missing this fat shell I am in and being able to buy cute clothes again!!
Not meant to sound witchy..just my opinion.

pattymac65
on 10/12/11 4:28 am

First, know that its totally your decision.  My surgery is in 6 days.  I'm scared/nervous/excited/everything.  My personal reasons are to hopefully get rid of medical issues -- diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure.  I looked into both bypass and lap band and at fist thought I would choose lap band because it seemed less invasive.  But in reality I felt it had more risk and more upkeep than the bypass.  Dumping scares me, but like the other comment, it could be a learning lesson.  One I hope to never have, but non-the-less....

So weigh your options and make your decision.  Maybe make a pro/con list?  I'm a big list-maker.

Good luck to you!

missjann
on 10/12/11 4:54 am
RNY is a decision you should make with your loved ones and your physician.
Given that, dumping isn't the same for everyone, nor does everyone dump
on the same things. I have a high tolerance for sugar but have to be more
careful with fats.  I have never had a horrific dump, although I don't pu****
all that much. On the few occasions that I have dumped, My heart races, I
feel yucky, my tummy is upset and that's it for about 20 minutes. My worst
dump was on something I've had before, but I felt a bit worse and wanted
to lie down for about 20 minutes...I was at home so I did and in 20 minutes
I was fine. I have never vomited or had diarrhea or fainting or the deep sleep
that some mention.  I had heard stories of explosive, uncontrollable gas and
diarrhea which scared me to death because I travel for work. I had significant
discussions with my surgeon, his team and an independent physician- all of
whom said those were not typical symptoms and would be something out of
the ordinary to be treated.  I have found that to be true.

If you can follow the eating plan and stay away from too much sugar and fats,
you should be able to avoid most dumping.  In time you'll be able to visually size
up foods and get a good idea if you'd dump on them.......again, dependent on
what makes you dump and how much. 

Good luck with your decision. It's not one anyone could or should help you make
but thoseclose to you and your surgeon and his team. I wish you well.
    Jan

hporter27
on 10/12/11 5:19 am
Don't be afraid of the dumping.  Everyone is different.  I have never had much of a problem with dumping.  I can eat a small amount of sugar ok but feel yucky when I eat too much fat.  I have never thrown up or had diarrhea.  I just feel queasy and a little nauseated when I eat something I shouldn't.  You learn what foods to avoid.  Honestly, I don't miss the bad foods at all.  Things taste too sweet or fatty to me now.  You get used to your new way of eating.
laura_vermont
on 10/12/11 5:22 am
Only 30% of us dump.  And, those of us that do, have different tolerances for sugar intake.  Dumping experiences aren't all the same either.  I have not vomitted since surgery.  For me, dumping means:  heart racing, feelings of anxiety, abdominal pain & diarreah.  I have dumped "accidentally" when I failed to read a label and I have dumped when I pushed my personal limits. 

I can have 1 small cookie or 1/4 of a donut.  I had 4 oreos once and spent the next 8 days on the toilet.  (Yes, 8 days, called my surgeon who thought that once my system was irritated that I dumped on everything I ate until it settled back down.)

It keeps me honest.  I will not have 4 oreos at one time again. 

On a more positive note, I had a hiatal hernia and GERD before surgery.... it is gone!  No issues with GERD since surgery.  If I hadn't lost any weight, it would have still been worth it.

Good luck with whatever you decide,
Laura
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

T. Deeds
on 10/12/11 5:40 am
Getting my RNY was the best decision I've ever made in my life!  I don't dump, by the way.  However, I'm kind of intolerant to sugary foods, but they aren't that healthy anyway, so I don't care.

Carla M.
on 10/12/11 6:28 am
RNY on 02/21/11 with
I'm a dumper and thankful that I am. It keeps me on track with healthy foods instead of bad ones. I've dumped on a lot, but I've finally learned my tolerances which are VERY low. But like a previous poster said, only 30% dump. You might not. Good luck with your decision.

poet_kelly
on 10/12/11 7:33 am - OH
Well, first you  need to know that only about 30% of RNY folks dump.  So there would be a good chance that you wouldn't.

People that do dump can usually tolerate small amounts of sugar.  Like, I just finished eating a cookie with 11 grams of sugar.  I try not to go over 12 grams, otherwise I do sometimes dump.

Dumping sucks.  Sometimes it's worse than others, but it feels horrible and the few times I've dumped it only lasted about 20-30 minutes but it can last for a few hours.  It's best if you can avoid it.

But you know, it doesn't make me regret having RNY or anything like that.  It makes me read labels carefully.  And if you do dump, chances are at some point you'll eat something you think is low enough in sugar and you'll be unpleasantly surprised by dumping on it.  But you won't dump often, not if you avoid foods high in sugar.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Jenni_9yrspostop
on 10/12/11 9:23 am
Ihad RNY surgery and I don't dump. Most bypass patients don't. For my friends, dumping is getting hot, sweating, maybe diarrhea for a few minutes or feeling dizzy or light headed. Most learn what not to do and don't do it (much). For a lot of them drinking lots of water to wash out or dilute whatever it is that they ate or drank makes it go away. Throwing up is not dumping, I've thrown up 3 times since surgery and it's not a big deal. It's like baby spit up and about a teaspoon. We don't hold much and once up we feel better and can go about our day. sorry about the problems with the band. I've heard of complications related to it and many revise to rny. I had my surgery 10 yrs ago and would do it again in a heartbeat. I hit goal at about 11 months out, have stayed around there all this time, I have had no complications, I can eat anything I did pre op, just in different portions and I eat like a normal person. dumping is no biggie. You feel crappy for a little bit and it's done. Most bypass patients don' t even have it. don't let it change your mind about a surgical procedure that might work for you.
Jen 10 yrs post op RNY 
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 384 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 357 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 322 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 148 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 110 views