Alternative to Omeprazole?

Kim26
on 10/16/11 12:02 pm
I just found out Friday that the company I work for has been sold, and I am guessing that within the next week or two I will be unemployed. :(  I will be able to collect unemployment which is a positive, but will lose health insurance - we just can not afford to keep it. Since it has been years since I have been uninsured, I find myself scrambling to make sure my husband and I can afford our medicines.

I have been on Omeprazole since a couple months post-op - I was put on by my PCP and my surgeon's office was fine with it. This is to prevent ulcers.  I know that Prilosec OTC is supposed to be the same thing as Omeprazole, but it appears to be "delayed release" and I thought we did not do good with those types of things. 

Does anyone else take something every day to help prevent ulcers?  I am looking for something over the counter.

Thank you!!!!

“We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces, while regret weighs tons.? - Jim Rohn   
"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure." - Bill Cosby

(17 lbs lost pre-op)
lanagirl
on 10/16/11 12:11 pm
I would ask your pharmacist to be sure, but I think the prescription is time release too.

Kim26
on 10/16/11 12:43 pm
I think you are probably right!  I hope all these months of taking it have not been for nothing;  I will call the pharmacy tomorrow.  Thank you! 

“We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces, while regret weighs tons.? - Jim Rohn   
"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure." - Bill Cosby

(17 lbs lost pre-op)
medasstcheri
on 10/16/11 12:25 pm - MI
Hi Kim!  Just wanted to let you know that Omeprazole is a generic drug and very cheap.  Here in Michigan you can get a month supply from Kroger or Meijer pharmacies for $4.00 a month.  Nothing over the counter will be that inexpensive.  I am not sure if stores out of Michigan do the same but it is something for you to look into.  
I pray you find another job soon and things all work out for you!   Good luck!
Kim26
on 10/16/11 12:42 pm
Hi there - you would think it would be cheap, but here in NY no one has it on their $4 generic list. I have checked Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid, Target....lol!!  When I look at my prescription records from Walgreens, I have been paying $7.47, and the note says "Your insurance saved
you $65.52"!!! Thank you for the reply...and thank you for your prayers!  :)

(17 lbs lost pre-op)
exohexoh
on 10/16/11 2:19 pm - West Chester, PA
 i would ask the pharmacist. the "insurance price" may be higher. 

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

_Donna_
on 10/16/11 12:36 pm
Omeprazole is Prilosec, which is sold over the counter at any store. I'm pretty sure it even comes in generic brands

RNY 5-5-2011

Kim26
on 10/16/11 12:45 pm
Thank you, Donna!  Yes, I was just concerned about the delayed release, but as someone else mentioned, I bet you the ones I have been taking via prescription are delayed release too. I am sure there are lots of over the counter medicine for this; I just want to make sure I am taking something that is going to work for us RNY'ers. :)

(17 lbs lost pre-op)
lanagirl
on 10/16/11 12:58 pm
I would try a mail order pharmacy because the OTC stuff is a pill and the prescription is a break open with little balls inside. I don't know how you take it now, but I break it open and pour it in my mouth.

YankeeRose
on 10/16/11 1:23 pm - Meadville, PA
Yes, omeprazole is also sold OTC. I don't know about it being time released but you could ask the pharmacist. Can you get COBRA medical benefits? I used to have COBRA a couple years ago and I was eligible for a govt subsidy that helped pay for it. I think it payed like 65% of the premium. Not a bad deal at all and it would hold you over until you find another job. Try googling COBRA subsidy. Good luck.

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 488 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 391 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 403 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?