Please stop calling me skinny and things like that...

amie503
on 10/22/11 10:55 am - Dallas, NC
 I have lost 120 pounds since my surgery 8 months ago.  I know that's huge.  And I have nothing to complain about.  And most people are awesome about it.  There are few, however, that keep saying things like "You are so skinny" or "You are wasting away"  and things like that.  I am not skinny!  I am almost in a normal weight category.  I am 174 pounds.  I am certainly not wasting away.  Grrr.  Thanks for listening - I feel better already. 
Amie  

nduke39
on 10/22/11 11:28 am - FL
I am so glad that you posted that, cause I feel the same way.  Friday at work there were several people at once (7) saying the same thing, and yes it's nice to hear, but I was completely embarrassed and didn't know how to act.  The fact is, is that I am not skinny, still in a size 16, yes much smaller that I was, but not skinny.  Know that your not the only one out there going through the same thing.

amie503
on 10/22/11 11:39 am - Dallas, NC
 Thanks :)  I don't want to complain b/c I LOVE LOVE LOVE my weightloss, but some people are negative about it in a 'nice' way - I think some people were more comfortable with me being fat
Amie  

seeingthelight
on 10/22/11 11:52 am
I also know how you feel.. one reason for me is i dont see the weight loss so I cant stand when someone comments on my weight loss, and also I have told only a very few as in 5 people that I even had the surgery so Everyone wants to know how I did it and so on....
rayjack12
on 10/22/11 12:06 pm
This happens a lot to me as well.  At least a few times a week.  I do love to hear it but at the same time, I go home to my husband and say...I don't look SKINNY do I??  I don't want to be skinny!!  He says I'm not skinny but that people say that because I'm much skinnier than what I was.  For most...this just translates to "skinny".
I know exactly what you're saying though...I'm a far shot from "skinny".
poet_kelly
on 10/22/11 12:56 pm - OH
I think they mean it as a compliment.

But how messed up is it that in our society people think it's a compliment to tell someone they are wasting away?  No wonder so many people develop anorexia!

Have you asked them not to say those things?  You could just say something like "Thanks for noticing how much I've lost but it makes me kind of uncomfortable when people say I'm skinny.  Could we just not talk about it, please?"

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

exohexoh
on 10/22/11 2:02 pm - West Chester, PA
 i hear ya. i was talking to one of my good friends about wanting to lose another 30-35 pounds and he couldn't believe i would want to lose that much more. he was also convinced i only weighed about 115! a week later he still refuses to believe that i'm 155 (i've actually dropped down to 153 since we had the conversation, but still).

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

Melody D.
on 10/22/11 6:26 pm, edited 10/22/11 6:27 pm - Pueblo, CO
Interesting that this is brought up.  My own family is like you're so tiny (I'm 5'0" and I'm down to 134.) 
If I went by my doctor's ideal weight for me, he says for someone my height that I should weigh 98 pounds!!  Ummmm...that's not gonna happen.  My goal is the 125-127 area. 
Yet, it's not just my family.  We went out to lunch today at a chinese restaurant.  I gave the waitress my order.  I said that me and my son would share the sweet & sour chicken.  She said aren't you going to eat a plate of your own, you're so tiny that you need to put some weight on your bones.  I explained that I had had a gastric bypass and could only eat ½ cup portion.  She then went on to say that I took the easy way out and that I shouldn't have wasted my money when I could've lost weight "normally."  I just ignored her and then my brother was nice enough to butt in and give her his order.  I quickly thanked as soon as the woman left.
Panniculectomy & Mastopexy (Breast Reduction & Lift)- 1/3/12
Upper Thigh Lift & Upper Arm Lift- 3/13/12
HW-290,
SW-288, GW-127, CW-111

Renee2be
on 10/22/11 6:54 pm - NC

WLS isnt easy............by no means,  but people who have never struggled with weight, do not understand. 

We are a close bunch at work,  we are even starting a support group onsite, as we hav ediscovered there are many WLS patients there.  Our first meeting is NOV 7th.

I have gotten the your disappearing on us, we're not gonna recognize you in a few months,  cant wait til your a teeny tiny thing.  Its hard to see the success so far even though i know my clothes are to big, and my closet is shrinking, and shopping is like traumatizing cause you dont know what to try, then you start trying stuff and depending on country of origin, it will depend on which size you are.........tried an xl that was to small and a medium that was to big,,,,,,,,,,,WTH!! Oh well thats another rant...........

One of my co-workers yesterday, was really awesome though,  he has been concerned about me, because he actually had a close friend to pass away after surgery.  Complications combined with some serious health conditions pre-op were major contributors.

He's alway schecking in on me,  getting fluids in?  protein? supplements?  when's last time you ate (we work together closely and he knows that NOW i tend to forget to eat......)   Yesterday he was like, your doing great with this you know.........your gonna be like th eposter child for WLS.

That made me feel good!!!!  I had to laugh at him.   DH is great to,  i 've been freakin lately about the skin issue, (my belly button is sagging already slightly)  hes like WOMAN STOP!  Look at your self, and see what i see when i look at you............thats gonna take time cause i swear sometimes i still see 315lbs...................

Laura in Texas
on 10/22/11 11:59 pm
People are not used to seeing you thin. Plus they either think they're being "nice" or are jealous and do not want you thinner than them. The best thing I did after I got to my goal weight was get a new job where people did not know me when I was heavy. I am 5'7" and wear a size 4. People do not make comments to me about being "too thin".

Good for you for your weightloss and improved health. Enjoy the new you and try not to focus on other people's comments.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 455 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 349 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 351 views