Drinking Before Meals?

hlacy
on 10/23/11 5:49 am - Chandler, AZ
My surgeon says no drinking 30 minutes before meals. But, understanding that liquids drain right out of our pouch, I can't rationalize this. I did some research on here, and found this - but I don't know if it's true or not:

"No drinking 30 minutes before or after meals and no drinking with your food. A dry pouch will hold your soft protein longer helping your to feel full and fed longer. "

What is everyone's thoughts on drinking before meals? I've tried it and I feel like it keeps me hydrated better and keeps my hunger in check. I always wait at least 30 minutes after eating before I drink anything - that part I get and it makes total sense. 
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

poet_kelly
on 10/23/11 5:53 am - OH
My surgeon told me that if you drink right before meals, the pouch is wet and slippery and food won't stay in as long.

When I finally thought about that, though, it did not make sense.  Your entire digestive system is wet and slimy all the time.  I mean, it's moist, you produce various gastric juices, and it is lined with mucous.  So if it's already wet and slippery, how is drinking a couple ounces of water ten minutes before I eat going to make it wetter or more slippery and make food leave my pouch faster?  Doesn't make sense to me.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

hlacy
on 10/23/11 6:00 am - Chandler, AZ
Exactly - I thought about that, too. Another reason it makes no sense to me, either.
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

Dave Chambers
on 10/23/11 6:51 am - Mira Loma, CA
Yes, that's a pretty general rule with surgeon's. Some post ops who have issues with trying to eat to much do "water loading". This is the process of drinking as much water as you comfortably can about 30 minutes before a meal. You'll won't feel thirsty during the meal, and you'll feel fuller, and overeating would be unlikely.  Many patients eat too much during a meal, and the "one last bit" issue leads to upset pouches, feeling very unfortable for at least 30 minutes and is some cases, vomiting.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

nfarris79
on 10/23/11 6:58 am - Germantown, MD
 My experience with the 30/30 rule is mixed. Sometimes if I do drink right up to eating, I feel decreased capacity and increased feelings of "too full". Sometimes it helps me not get stuck on dense proteins. So I guess if it works for you, do it!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

gbsinsatx
on 10/23/11 7:09 am - San Antonio, TX
 I was originally advised by my doctors office to stop drinking fluids 30 minutes before a meal and to wait 30 minutes after a meal. While reading about other RNY post-ops drinking habits about a month ago, I changed the way I now drink fluids. I am now drinking fluids up to a meal and waiting 60 minutes after a meal. This works a lot better for me and I feel full longer between meals.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

axlebart2
on 10/23/11 7:46 am - CA
everything I was told is what you guys are saying....fluid after will flush your pouch!
I was told to wait 1 hour to an hour and a half before and after!!!
Ladytazz
on 10/23/11 7:57 am
I would never get in enough fluids if I did that.  I was waiting 30 minutes before and 50 minutes after for at least the first year but since I have been trying to eat more I have decided to not worry about waiting 30 minutes before I drink and only waiting 30 minutes after I eat.  That way I have more time to get my fluids and meals in.  So far I haven't had a problem.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

poet_kelly
on 10/23/11 8:25 am - OH
How would you ever get enough fluid in that way?  Let's see, I eat six times a day and that would mean about 18 hours out of the day I could not drink.  I would only have six hours to get my fluid in, and I do like to sleep sometimes!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

kimndan18
on 10/23/11 8:38 am - IA
My surgeon is addiment about no drinking 30 minutes before and 90 minutes after meals, needless to say, its one rule I can not follow, I couldn't possibly get in enough water if I did what they require and it also leads me to the conclusion that is why I see so many in his office that have been hospitalized for dehydration.

I drink up until meals, maybe even a sip with meals, sometimes I just have too, but I try not too, then 30 minutes after meals, its working ok, 10 months out and down about 150 pounds.

Most Active