I think I'm scared to eat!

stellasnyder1
on 10/23/11 9:05 am - Williams, AZ

I am a little over 3 mo's out now and I know I really don't get enough food in. I have my 30g Protein drink in the morning. Sometimes I have a lowfat cheese wheel for snack. Lunch if I eat it is only a tablespoon or so of whatever protein I can stomach. I do try to eat a protein bar 30g throughout the day. Dinner is either non existant or maybe I can get a black bean burger in. I eat no fruit and maybe a couple of veggies with the burger. I have tried cottage cheese, beans, yogurt, and all things I was able to eat on the soft diet and they all make me sick. I take my vitamins and drink all my fluids but I'm afraid I will not be able to eat regular again or just food in general. See my doc next week so I'm sure he will give me the lecture. I have to say I don't feel weak, or dizzy at all. So I think I'm doing ok. What do you think?

HW 272 / SW 242 / GW 150      
(deactivated member)
on 10/23/11 9:31 am - Santa Cruz, CA
When you say these foods make you sick, do you mean "nauseous and vomiting" or just not
interested in eating??

The latter is not uncommon;  many are not interested in food the same way they were pre-op.
If you're getting at least 60-75 grams of protein, you should be OK.  Just make sure you're
getting your liquids--you definitely don't want dehydration.

You may just be adjusting to different foods.  Continue to try different things.  I found that shrimp,
tuna, and scallops were my best protein intake at three months out.

Good luck!
Ladytazz
on 10/23/11 9:36 am
How many calories are you taking in a day?  It looks like it is less the 300.  Unless you want to teach your body how to live on 300 calories a day it probably is a good idea to start eating more.  If your body gets used to 300 calories a day and you start to eat 500 calories a day you may gain weight, or not lose much.
You have to fuel your body to keep your metabolism running.  You want it to get used to eating an healthy amount of food.  Think of food like medicine.  Get a schedule and an eating plan and let yourself eat.  If some foods are making you sick that you were able to eat before then it may not be physical.  You may be so afraid of eating that your are making yourself sick when you do eat.  You made need some counselling to get over your fear.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

stellasnyder1
on 10/23/11 9:43 am - Williams, AZ

I actually vomit. Today I tried oatmeal and was sick as a dog. Food in general lately makes me vomit. Believe me I want to eat it just hurts and makes me vomit horribly. I was eating on a schedule but things that I was able to tolerate started to make me sick. Now I feel so helpless.

HW 272 / SW 242 / GW 150      
devasinger
on 10/23/11 9:44 am - Baltimore, MD
Thank you for posting this.  My surgery was Oct. 3 2011 and I have an appetite sometimes but find that I am afraid to eat because I do not want to be sick.  I have had different types of what I call sickness, the running to the bathroom kind and just recently, the feeling that someone was sitting on my chest after eating and not being able to breathe. (I think there was something spicy ...red pepper in the food).  I do not know what that was but I walked and walked and then threw up and felt much better.  Because I have been concerned about getting in the protein, I try to get in the majority of my protein in the morning.  That way, if I cannot eat anything later, I got it in.  I accomplish this through the EAS proetin shakes but i also make a shake that includes protein powder, a little fruit, a little greek yougart and a protein shot.  So far, this has been helpful and I just take my time drinking it.   I am starting to realize that the key is taking it slow.  Eat what you can.  Try different things.  It is almost like being a baby again.

I hope this helps.  You post has helped me understand that this is part of the process.

Peace and Love,
devasinger 

stellasnyder1
on 10/23/11 9:50 am - Williams, AZ
Thank you....I was doing fantastic till the 5th week. Never even a problem. Then all of a sudden I started getting sick on some things. Anyway, I'm still so glad that I did the surgery. I know it just takes one day at a time and this shall pass. Good luck to you and thank you for the suggestions.

HW 272 / SW 242 / GW 150      
lanagirl
on 10/23/11 10:21 am
It may be a stricture. If you are actually vomiting then you need to call your dr.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 491 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 553 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 541 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 254 views
Recent Topics