Going on a Cruise! Suggestions please

HHSMOM
on 10/25/11 1:09 am - AL
I am going on a cruise after Thanksgiving. I found out I can take my Quest protien bars with me. I think I will also order some individual packs of protien powder. I normally drink these in the morning since food does not like me early. Anyone else been on a cruise since surgery. What did you take/eat.
Teresa  HW 267.5, SW 250, CW 140      
laura_vermont
on 10/25/11 1:44 am
I've been on 1 cruise since surgery.  Staying on track was not an issue.  I don't do food early either, but the buffet had lots of options -- I usually did eggs & fresh fruit for breakfast.  Lots of wonderful protein options for lunch & dinner.  I did the walking track, went to the gym & did active excursions.  Did not gain any weight at all!

Have a great trip!
Laura
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

Cheryl N.
on 10/25/11 3:25 am, edited 10/25/11 3:25 am - Des Moines, WA
I went on a cruise 1.5 months after my surgery. 

The food was OK, I still had food aversion and was still healing, so the smell and sight of food made me sick and queasy most of the time.   I swear I felt my stomach cringing every time I saw people's HEAPING portions of food from the buffet   LOL .

Oh they do have healthy options on the menu at dinner.   Also they do have cottage cheese, fruits, eggs for breakfast (I love cottage cheese, but hated it on the cruise.. guess I was still healing)

yes, you can bring ur own bars,drinks, just put them in suitcase.

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

fatfreemama
on 10/25/11 3:54 am - San Jose, CA
 I've been on a couple cruises since surgery.  They are actually wonderful and I didn't bring anything extra.

The buffets usually have some plain meats and cheese, fresh salads and fruits.  I usually walk the whole buffet first before getting a plate and pick out what I want first.

The sit down meals always have healthy choices and you can order sauces and things on the side, and ask for the veggies to be steamed with no butter.  They also always have sugar free desserts now so feel free to taste.

The gym is great.  On our last cruise, my hubby and I tried the spin classes, something we've always wanted to do.  Also, I got to try out all the different weight machines (I use free weights at home), and the ellipticals.  There's also always one deck on the boat that is a track that you can walk, and they'll tell you how many laps is a mile.

Before you pack protein, check the boat.  The one I was on had a spa in the gym and a protein bar where I could get a whey protein smoothie with non-fat milk and frozen fruit every day.

Have a great time!
Jan
Bay to Breakers 12K May 15, 2011 (1:54:40)           First 5K 5/23/11 (41:22)
Half Marathons: Napa:  7/18/10  (4:11:21)   7/17/11 (3:30:58)   7/15/12  (3:13:11.5) 

SJ Rock and Roll: 10/2/10 (3:58:22)  Run Surf City: 2/6/11 (3:19:54) 
                         Diva: 5/6/12 (3:35:00) 
HW/SW/CW  349/326/176
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

HHSMOM
on 10/25/11 4:31 am - AL
Thank you everybody, I was worried but from what you all are saying it is going to be fine. I am getting excited.
Teresa  HW 267.5, SW 250, CW 140      
jennibaby1979
on 10/25/11 6:09 am - monticello, NY
I went on a cruise ((((2 WEEKS POST OP))))) what a nightmare lol. seemed like alls my family did was eat and i was only allowed liquid.
but the good thing was i was able to bring all on my needed things with me like protein and such and had no problem. but i did get a note from my doctor just in case i did.
seattledeb
on 10/25/11 2:23 pm

This is me on the balcony enjoying my cruise to Alaska. I lost weight on this cruise and ate a bite or two of dessert with every meal. I did a lot of walking around the boat and did a long somewhat hellish kayak trip.
Food choices are great for Rny folks. Lots of protein choices.
Have fun!
Deb T.

Firefly48
on 10/26/11 12:17 am
Hi- I have been on several cruises, and have one planned in April, first since surgery. The last cruise I was on a couple who sat at our dinner table that dietary restrictions and the cruise ship put together daily dinner options special for them. So ask for this as an option if you are eating nightly at the formal dinning rooms. They will do low fat, low salt, high protein etc if  you need this. Check with the cruise line and or your travel agent to set this up.

Then enjoy.....

Most Active
Recent Topics