Driving myself batty

Samantha.M
on 10/26/11 11:34 am - Germany
 I had my RNY on 10/21/11 has anyone else been fearful of stretching out their pouch in the beginning? I know it's probably a silly fear but I can't stop thinking about it. Every time I drink my water or protein or eat my soup and I think I'm sipping more than I should that I've ruined myself....Then I keep hurting my main incision by getting stuck down in the couch....I'm driving myself insane :(
Proud army wife and mom of 2 ♥       
Michelle8885
on 10/26/11 11:52 am
well, in my case I've realize that i can't really stretch it out b/c the opening from my esophogus to my pouche is so small that sometimes it gets stuck in my esophogus and i have to throw it up.
I worry about my incisions too. I had open rny... and i have to take care of a 9 month old who weighs 18lbs. i have to do what i have to do tho.... can't afford to have someone help anymore.
Gina1013
on 10/26/11 11:56 am - Canton, OH
 I am early out too, (had open RNY on 10/12/11) and I know that you can worry about a LOT of things. I have been told that it is pretty hard to stretch out your pouch and basically impossible to do it with liquids, so relax and get your fluids in:)
 If you are having problems getting off of your couch, maybe you can try putting a pillow or two on top of the cushion so that you sit a little higher. Good luck:)

Weight at consult 7/14/11:  413

FleurDeLis
on 10/26/11 12:25 pm
Right after surgery your stoma was the size of a pinpoint thanks to all the swelling. It enlarges naturally as it heals. To prevent stretching it, they ask you to measure your meals and advance your diet on schedule.

With liquids, your pouch acts as a funnell. The larger the opening, the faster it drains of liquids. If you can hold liquids down, you are ok. Do not try it with more solid food.

Zeigled
on 10/26/11 12:35 pm - Parkton, MD
I don't think fluids can stretch you pouch at all - they just go through.
HW 357 SW 341   

tabbott4
on 10/26/11 12:36 pm - VA
I had my RNY on Sept 26 and i had the same fear.  It did go away ofter a couple of weeks.  Now as far as hurting getting up and down I did not lay down for about three weeks I slept sitting up on the couch I layed down once when i first got home and that was enough.  It is amaging how fast it gets beeter now i am back to normal, sleeping in the bed, energy is up, all the soreness is gone.

Samantha.M
on 10/26/11 1:03 pm - Germany
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the kind words. I am following my Dr's plan. No food yet for me. I'm on my stage 2 full liquids till Nov 4th. That's jus****er(flavored with Chrystal light)vanilla protein shakes,carnation instant breakfast(sugar free) and cream soups. At least that's all I have been having. Oh and the popsicles lol

I will try the idea about the pillow on my couch. My stomach is hurting so bad right now because I got stuck in it earlier.
Proud army wife and mom of 2 ♥