Any RNYers out there with PCOS and insulin resistance?

Jenny_D
on 10/27/11 12:30 am - Canton, GA
I have PCOS and the accompanying insulin resistance, but I am not currently on medication for it.  The only time I was on medication for it was when I was trying to conceive.

My cycles have returned to normal since my RNY, but recently I have been craving sugar like mad, so I know my insulin resistance is still there. I don't want to ruin all the hard work I've been doing, so I am heading back to my doctor to see if I can go back on Metformin to control it.

I was wondering if there are any other PCOS'ers out there having the same issue, or if you are on meds and not having any problems, I'd be interested in that too.  I'd like to share with my doctor what's working for others to see if she can help me.  Thanks!
Jenny         HW: 268 / SW: 254 / CW: 180 / GW: 140
First 5K: 4.21.2012 - Time: 34:45 - 2nd Place in age group
Second 5K: 6.2.2012 - Time 37:09

berrixblonde
on 10/27/11 1:08 am - NY
i was insulin resistant, months away from diabetes with PCOS and now that you mention it, im craving sugar like mad but no where near my cycle. i was told the insulin resistance would subside post surgery. please ask your doc if there is any way of testing this aside from the glucose tolerance test...
Jenny_D
on 10/27/11 1:47 am - Canton, GA
 I will definitely ask!  I probably won't be able to get an appointment for a month, but I'll let you know what I find out!  I'll 'friend' you so I don't forget.

TysCandi
on 10/27/11 1:25 am
I haven't had my RYN yet, but I do have PCOS, and this is the reason for me wanting to have this surgery. I also do crave sugary snacks all of the time, but I am trying to get them under control by just basically ignoring them. Currently, I am on 1500mg of Metformin a day and it keeps my insulin in check, but I still get the cravings. Since being on the Metformin my insulin levels have been great, but I am hoping that after the surgery that I will not have to take the pills anymore, since most of the diet will be based on proteins. I know that the biggest things that effect our insulin levels is carbs. I know one thing that I have tried to learn is to appreciate the natural sugars in things, and once you can get your taste buds to do that maybe you can turn to healthier options for your cravings like strawberries and other kinds of fruits. Hope this helps, good luck with everything...

HW: 326  SW: 312  GW:140

Jenny_D
on 10/27/11 1:46 am - Canton, GA
I know what you are saying. And that definitely is a good plan in theory. LOL. However...I was doing fine for the first few months after surgery. I follow my doctor's plan and eat a very healthy diet high in protein and only natural sugars from fruit and whole grains.  In fact, at my 2 month post-op, my nutritionist said I was eating too "Atkins-like" and needed to get more carbs in my diet. Haha.The cravings have just come back in the past few weeks and it's not just a matter of choosing 'healthy' sugars....I wi**** were that easy!  It's the uncontrollable appetite for them!  Even fruit can be a bad choice if you eat enough calories worth of it!  

And calling it a 'craving' is probably not the best way for me to put it. LOL. As you know, our bodies crave the carbs because we NEED the extra insulin to make up for the resistance, so it's not a head hunger thing. It's physiological. 

I thought the surgery would 'fix' that since the insulin resistance/weight thing that comes with PCOS is a vicious cycle. I figured losing the weight would reduce the body's need for more insulin and thus curbing the PCOS. And maybe that is still true and I'm just not there yet. I hope that's the case, anyway.  Sigh.  I guess I'll just have to see what my doctor says. I think I need to be back on Metformin for a bit.

Most Active