surgery after RNY

Price S.
on 10/30/11 6:18 am - Mills River, NC
I am a little over a year out from RNY and will be having my knee replaced in November.  For those of you who have had surgery after your RNY, any suggestions?  I'll take my protein to the hospital and some protein bars.  I'm a little worried about anethesia and pain killers and constipation.  I am ok now with benefiber, increased fliuds, veggies and walking but am afraid with limited movement and drugs, I may get constipated.

Any suggestions welcome.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

poet_kelly
on 10/30/11 6:50 am - OH
I've had surgery twice since my RNY, once to remove my gall bladder and once to clean out infected fluid in my left lung.  I didn't get constipated after my gall bladder surgery.  I did not poop for a while after my lung surgery but I think that was because for several days I ate nothing at all.  The nurses were very worried that I hadn't pooped and finally insisted on giving me a suppository, and then I started pooping and kept on pooping for several days, and I was kind of annoyed because I really didn't feel like I needed to go in the first place.

Anyway.  Maybe take some Mirilax for a couple days after surgery to help prevent problems.  And if you need to go and can't, they will be able to give you something.

Make sure they know not to give you NSAIDS.  Make them write it on your chart.  And every time they bring you meds, make sure you know what they are giving you.

If you're gonna be in the hospital just a day or two, I wouldn't worry too much about protein or vitamins but if it's gonna be more than that, I would take your vitamins as well as your protein.  There is a good chance they won't have the stuff you need.  I know one person that was in the hospital for something and the hospital had no calcium citrate, only calcium carbonate.  Also, they may try to give you something like Ensure for protein, which is what they kept brining me when I had my lung surgery, even though I kept telling them it had too much sugar in it for me.  So just be aware that they may not have what you need with regard to things like that and may try to give you things that would not be good for you.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Price S.
on 10/30/11 8:30 am - Mills River, NC
this hospital does RNY so maybe they will have a clue but it could be an entirely different bunch of nurses, etc since I will be on the orthopedi****il instead of WLS.  RTD s are a good possibilitiy.  I don't dump but ensure is nasty.  I will probably be there 3+ days.  Hopefully then I can go home but sometimes they send folks to Rehab for a few days.  Suppose to be able to eat the day after.  Not sure what the pre-op prep will be but I may do a laxative just in case.

I have an out patient surgery for an umbilical hernia next week.  Maybe that will tell me somewhat of what my now little body will do with surgery before the big one.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

seashell6417
on 10/30/11 9:24 am - Gaylord, MN
I have had two inpatient surgeries, one outpatient and one other stay in the hospital since RNY.  I judst ordered off the regular menu for the few days I was there.  There were plenty of options including eggs, chicken Caesar salad (w/ dressing on the side), grilled chicken options, etc.  I actually enjoyed the change of pace.  I did bring my vitamins but I don't remember if I took all of them or just the calcium and D.
Tami

Price S.
on 10/30/11 10:58 am - Mills River, NC
thanks.  hopefully it will all go smoothly and i can be home in a few days.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 60 replies · 403 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 54 replies · 213 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 508 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 580 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 305 views