RNY Post Op 3 days... coughing often after sips

Erinn W.
on 10/30/11 2:13 pm - Dallas, TX
 Hello there... I am 3 days post-op from my robotic RNY and nearly every sip of water, protein, anything starts me coughing.  Sometimes to the point of nausea and once, I vomited saliva (it was clear).  It's Sunday night and Iwill call the surgeon's office in the morning to make sure I'm ok.  I'm walking, sipping, using the spirometer (for breathing) but I'm sure I am not getting enought fluids in yet.  I've found I can accomodate about 2.5 oz right now in my pouch before feeling yucky.  Also, almost every sip (no straws!), I make a huge burp.  Seems like I couldn't have taken in that much air.  Incisions look ok, took out my On-Q lidocaine pump today since it was empty.  I do have a slight fever of about 99.5.  Anyone else experience any of this and is it normal or something to be very concerned about?

Thanks!  

Erinn
Celia S.
on 10/30/11 2:19 pm - Grand Junction, CO
I had LOTS of burping in the first few days. I'm now almost 2 weeks out and still pretty belchy, but not as bad as what I was before!

I think contacting your surgeon tomorrow about the coughing/vomiting is a good idea. Sounds like it could be reflux.

Were you sent home with a prescription for an anti-nausea medication like Zofran or anything?

Erinn W.
on 10/30/11 2:42 pm - Dallas, TX
I do have some anti-nausea pills they prescribed for me, but it seems I only get nauseous after coughing too much. This happened to me before the surgery from time to time. I will try a tablet and see if it helps me out. I will call the surgeon's ofc in the morning for sure. I know he's in surgery tomorrow, but he's got a nurse in his office.
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 358 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 328 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 175 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 111 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 175 views