Giant step backwards...

Kady
on 11/2/11 7:46 am - Lancaster County, PA
I am 6 weeks out from surgery today and I have been tolerating less and less food for the past 5 days. I think I have a stricture :(

Last night at dinner I ate 4 small bites of chicken and 3 bites of very soft steamed broccoli and felt absolutely stuffed and I got pain in my upper sternum-I still felt the same way for 3 hours. Things just aren't moving like they were.  This feeling happened with everything yesterday-my greek yogurt in the a.m., my scrambled egg and cottage cheese at lunch, and even the 16 pistachios I ate as a snack.   I was tolerting all of these foods and more last week without this overstuffed feeling after a few bites.   I have spent a lot of times after taking a bite holding my chest in terrible pain, and the slimy feeling in my throat is so bad. I just keep pacing the floors when it happens because I keep thinking if I keep moving my body maybe my gut will move things along quicker. I had thought about drinking when the pain is really bad to help push things through but was worried everything would come backup so I never tried it.  I haven't thrown up but gotten quite close and would probably feel better if I did-kwim?

Today, all I have managed is a protein shake this a.m. and 1/4 cup of ricotta for lunch-plus water.  Even liquids are filling me up more than usual.

I talked to the nurse at the doctor's office, she suggested that I was eating too fast or too much, I assured her that if anything I was eating a lot slower and have only been able to eat 1/4 of what I was- she is brand new and I have never met her but she seemed condescending, called me "dear" which I just hate!  She talked to my surgeon and then called me back.  The nurse told me that my surgeon does not think it is a stricture and only being able to eat 3 or 4 bites of something is normal at 6 weeks out and that if I had been eating more than that, this is probably my body's way of telling me to back off on my portions...wth? It's not like I was eating a cup of food, but at least I could eat 4 oz of greek yogurt before...argh!  My surgeon is having me come in to see him tomorrow though, thank goodness.

Did anyone experience this?  What did your doctor do for you? I am freaking out because I was doing so well....

Thanks for any advice or suggestions you can offer.

Melanie725
on 11/2/11 8:23 am - CA
For me, my doctor kept me on soft foods for a long time! She said the longer I am on it, the more I will lose weight! I am at 3 1/2 months post op and I still haven't eaten chicken. I still eat soft, pureed foods! I never had any pain, not sure why you are getting those pains. Maybe you should make an appointment to see your doctor in person rather than get a message from the nurse.
Kady
on 11/2/11 8:30 am - Lancaster County, PA
Thanks for your reply Melanie.  I see my surgeon tomorrow afternoon...

lanagirl
on 11/2/11 9:04 am
It does sound like a stricture developing to me. I'm glad you are seeing your Dr. Hopefully he will order a scope to check.

NHPOD9
on 11/2/11 9:41 am
 I was initially told the same as you, that I was eating too much, too fast, or eating foods that did not agree with me.  It wasn't until I was vomitting up liquids and needed to go to the ER for fluids that I felt someone was taking me seriously.  Hopefully when you speak with your surgeon tomorrow, he will at least consider the possibility of an upper GI.  

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

Mandy R.
on 11/2/11 11:07 am - Callahan, FL
Sorry you are not feeling well :(  I haven't had my surgery yet but my dr's plan is week 1-clear liquids, weeks 2-3: clear liquids with protein powder, weeks 4-6: full liquids, weeks 6-8: pureed foods, week 9-10: soft food, week 11: regular diet.  Maybe you are progressing too quickly?

HW-298  SW-251 Loss/Month post RNY(1)-23.5,(2)-23.3,(3)-9.9,(4)-10.6,(5)-8.9,(6)-7.7,(7)-4.2,(8)-7.5,(9)-1.7,(10)-10.8*first goal reached*,(11)-6,(12)-1.3,(13)-0.3,(14)+2.9-*changed scales that weigh 2lbs heavier*,(15)-0.3(16)-4.7(17),+5.8(18)-1.5,(19)+4.4,(20)-+4,(21)-1.2,(22)+3.5,(23)

D-J
on 11/2/11 11:13 am
chicken is hard for alot of us that early post-op,,sometimes when i have a bad pouch day i find it's best to let it rest and go back to fluids a day or so until my pouch is no longer angry,you are much braver then i am no way would i have even considered eating any kind of seeds or nuts at 6 weeks.
Kady
on 11/2/11 2:11 pm - Lancaster County, PA
Thanks for the continued comments...

I am following my surgeon's prescribed diet.  Full liquids from post op day 3 to 2 weeks post-op, pureed/soft until 4 weeks post op and regular as tolerated and 4+ weeks post-op.  My surgeon admits he advances diets quicker than others but hasn't found a difference in patient tolerance between his suggestions and a slower diet progression.  Everything I am eating I am chewing very well, the nuts, chicken, etc. have been fine for me up until this situation started...

Shelly S.
on 11/2/11 3:35 pm - Mason, MI
I had a very similar experience about the same time from my RNY. Same symptoms and all-----long story short: drank the contrast, had the scope, found out it was reflux. Went on prescription strength antacid for a couple months daily and was just dandy!

Hope a pepcid is all you need, darling.
Shelly Smith    
HW 326 SW 293 CW 180 GW 160        
ladybug1nc
on 11/3/11 1:14 am, edited 11/3/11 1:25 am - NC
 Kady, is it because of the nuts? I read that nuts are not well tolerated until perhaps much later. I am sure you will work through this. Let us know what you find out! 
Leslie

Most Active
Recent Topics