4 Weeks Post-Op - TOTALLY EXHAUSTED

Bama_Wifey
on 11/7/11 1:46 am - AL
Good morning!  I am 4 weeks post-op and I stay soooo tired.  I am taking all my vitamins, I am taking B12 injections (got one in the hospital and gave myself one this past Saturday), I'm getting my protein in, but still working on all the liquid.  I have found that the medications that I took prior to surgery are affecting me differently.  For instance, I take Xanax to sleep.  Before surgery, it would take about 45 minutes to an hour to kick in and I usually slept most of the night.  Now when I take it, I am OUT in about 10 minutes, but I dont stay asleep.  I also take prozac during the day and have reduced the dosage because I'm afraid that's what is making me so tired and drained.  I go to the gym 5 days a week and get on the elliptical for at least 30 minutes, so I thought that would energize me.  But I'm just simply exhausted.  I was just wondering if anybody else felt this way, and if anyone thought that my meds may be absorbing differently than before?  Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

Thanks!
HW: 337  -  Beginning 6 mo pre-op diet: 319 - Consult: 251  -  SW:238     CW: 154    -  GW: 160  (LOST 81 lbs during 6 mo pre-op diet)
SURGERY DATE: 10/10/2011    
tabbott4
on 11/7/11 2:39 am - VA
I went thru the same thing.  I am about 7 weeks post op and the exhaustion is getting alot better.  I was doing everything the Drs told me to do was exercising 6 days a week and was gettign alittle nervous that I was going to live with being tiered all the time.  Now i sleep alot better and am starting to get my energy back and at this point its better than it was before.  One thing that did help me was salt and pushing to get more fluids.  Im sure it will start getting better soon.

Bama_Wifey
on 11/7/11 4:40 am - AL
Thank you for your reply.  I was really starting to get concerned.  Usually I have MUCH more energy than this.  I was going to the gym and working out an hour and a half daily BEFORE surgery.  Of course, I still have another week before I can start doing all of that again.  All I do now is 30-45 on the elliptical.  At this point, I'm gonna have to feel better in order to start my workouts again!  Thank you again.....I was beginning to feel hopeless and you gave me hope!  Take care and good luck with your journey!
HW: 337  -  Beginning 6 mo pre-op diet: 319 - Consult: 251  -  SW:238     CW: 154    -  GW: 160  (LOST 81 lbs during 6 mo pre-op diet)
RainDiva
on 11/7/11 3:54 am
I am also 4 weeks post op and very very tired. I now have to pick what store I need to go to first just in case I run out of steam, Which before surgery I could go all day even at my weight. So this is a big adjustment. Also today I started feeling like I had a low blood sugar spell and it was at 77. I have reactive hypoglyemcia but the first three weeks it stayed pretty even at 115. I hope I am not getting my symptoms back they scare me and I dont want my life revolving around low blood sugar

Bama_Wifey
on 11/7/11 4:43 am - AL
Sorry you are experiencing this too, but I feel better knowing that this is normal.  BIG sigh of relief!  Hopefully your sugar will balance out as you move on to a regular diet.  But you might want to keep a close watch on it and contact your doctor if it continues.  Good luck to you and thank you so much for your reply!!
poet_kelly
on 11/7/11 5:07 am - OH
Yes, your meds most likely do get absorbed a bit differently than before.  You might need the doses adjusted. 

If you're having trouble getting enough liquid in, that will make you very tired.

You might want to get some labs done if it continues to check your iron and B12 levels.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

TrueNorthFriend
on 11/7/11 6:40 am - Canada
 Ditto to what others said about maybe getting labs checked, and maybe getting med dosages adjusted - both good suspects.

But I would also think that it is possible you are working too hard - your body is trying to heal and you are spending a ton of energy on exercise equipment.  If you are really tired, rest.  See if resting and being sure you are on track for vitamins, food and liquid.  YOu don't have to come to a stop... but just exercise gently - don't push.

I went through a period of almost manic exercising, and then severe fatigue around the 4 - 5month mark, and again at a one year.  I learned that I have to listen to fatigue and rest.  Once I did that, I felt much better after a few days.