1 Year Check up not at good as hoped for

Laura R.
on 11/7/11 8:18 am - PA
I had my one year check up today. My surgiversary is actually the 19th of November. The doctor said I am down 134 pounds - started at 356, down to 222. I am pleased but he said he wants me to lose another 40 to 50 pounds in the next 6 months before I see him again. My labs all looked great except for my vitamin D level which was at 25 and he said he wanted it at 30 so he put me on 1000 units daily. I guess I was happy with the progress and did not expect to have a doctor still tell me in essence that I am still fat. 
Laura 

nbw
on 11/7/11 8:32 am
 I can understand. I had my 5 month checkup and I had lost 60 pounds. I started at 208 and weighed in at 148. Well, they said I should have been down at least another 20 pounds. Acused me of cheating. I have trouble getting solids down so I do drink most of my meals or at least they are creamed soup. I can do 2 ritz crackers with peanut butter or tuna. That was the wrong thing to say. No peanut butter and no crackers. I went to myprimary doctor and they were totally different. They were proud of me. If you are happy, just keep doing what you have been. Got your back!!

Nancy
Sara L.
on 11/7/11 8:35 am
He's probably just concerned that you won't get the last of your weight off before your malabsorption goes away.  That golden window is only supposed to be 18 months long.  Don't you think that's it?  I think your 134 pound loss is amazing! 
Do you think you want to lose more?  Do you not want to lose more?  Ultimately it is your decision, after all.
And unfortunately according to the BMI charts, 222 isn't considered "normal."  Not that we really care about being normal.
Good luck taking the rest off, keep up with whatever you've been doing!!
Sara in Maui
Price S.
on 11/7/11 9:47 am - Mills River, NC
Just keep on keeping on and it will come off.  Take advantage of this honeymoon period and get healthy habits so you can keep it off too.

Just one suggestion, most folks need more D3 than that.  Your level should be 80-100.  25 is awful and 30 isn't much better.  Get some 50,000 from Vitalady and take them daily for a couple of months.  It takes a bunch to bring your levels up and 1000 isn't going to make a dent in it.  Remeber you need Dry D3.  The oil based perscripitons will not be absorbed and you are wasting your time and money.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

poet_kelly
on 11/7/11 10:22 am - OH
You've done great so far.  I'm not sure he meant to say you are still fat, just that he thinks you do need to lose more.  Were you wanting to continue losing more?  Or did you think your current weight is a good weight for you?

About your vitamin D, it is very low and it needs to be a lot higher than 30.  Below 80, we are at increased risk for osteoporosis, heart disease and some kinds of cancer.  1000 IU daily is not going to bring your level up and it may actually drop more on that little.

What many of us have done, including me, when our level was that low, is to take 50,000 IU dry D3 from vitalady.com daily for a month or two, until we get it up to at least 80.  then we cut back but continue to take fairly big doses to maintain our levels.  I take 50,000 IU three to four times a week.  I look at people's labs and vitamins a lot and I've only known one post op that could maintain their level on less than 10,000 IU a day.

Whatever dose you decide to take, make sure you get dry D3 - not D2, not in oil

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

dori M.
on 11/7/11 10:22 am - MD
WoW 134 in a year! Even if ur doc is not impressed, I am. Keep up the good work. You and I are close to the same starting weight and I would be delighted if I get down to 222.
Laura in Texas
on 11/7/11 10:59 am
Really? How tall are you? Do you really think you are at a healthy weight at 222? Your ticker says you want to lose another 47 more, so I do not understand why you were surprised. It does not sound like he was putting you down or anything, just that you need to lose more, which I think you already know. My doctor's only goal is for his patients to have a BMI under 30, which for me at 5'7" was 190 pounds.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

daqman247
on 11/7/11 6:27 pm - Clovis, CA
RNY on 01/11/12
Congratulations on the weight loss! I'm 26, 5'9, 295lbs My surgeon wants me to shoot for 141lbs, my PCP wants me to shoot for 178lbs, and I'm shooting for 170.